Schools in Phoenix>Question Details

dschesney, Other/Just Looking in Phoenix, AZ

What are the best school districts in Phoenix?

Asked by dschesney, Phoenix, AZ Sat Jan 12, 2013

I have checked all the reviews based on test scores and rankings, but I was hoping for a more personal approach from someone who lives in the area. I am moving from Virginia and don't know where to begin. I have a 1st grader and soon to be kindergartner. Of course safety would be number one, somewhere in a nice (low-crime) area, with diversity but low ratios of english as a second language.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Phoenix

Answers

7
You are doing your homework. It sounds like you may have reviewed greatschools.com. There is much more to a school than standardized test scores, however. Your children are in their early years, but you might want to consider any specialized programs a school or district may offer. Such as, advanced placement or gifted programs, interventions for struggling students or traditional core teaching methods.

School districts parents favor are;

Madison - in the north central Phoenix area. It is a small district and there is diversity amongst the schools within the district. The boundry includes low, middle and upper income areas. It is a primary school district.

Paradise Valley Unified - in the northeast Phoenix and central Scottsdale areas. It is a large district with a broad range of schools and programs. It contains one of the most desired high schools in the north Valley.

Scottsdale Unified - covers most of the city of Scottsdale. There are older and newer sections of Scottsdale and the schools reflect that. Some of the strongest schools are in the heart of Scottsdale.

Cave Creek Unified - in the far north Valley area draws students from some of Phoenix, Scottsdale and Rio Verde. Their core standards are higher than the state requirement. It is a small district with a handful of primary schools and 1 high school. Every one of their schools have acheived the 'A+' designation.

There are other terrific schools around the Phoenix area. Additionally, there are many private and charter schools. Most district offer a foreign language as their core program like Mandrin or Spanish.

I hope this information has been helpful. Let me know if I may be of other assistance.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 12, 2013
I agree with this commentor the most. Phoenix is geographically very large and our commute can be challenging. Encourage you to live somewhat near your employer. There are good schools in all parts of the valley - East/West and North.
Flag Mon Jan 14, 2013
My husband and I are potentially going through something similar - did you end up moving to an area that you were happy with? We are looking for the same criteria - good schools, low crime, low ratio of english as a second language.
The Great Hearts community of schools are wonderful and top rated. They teach classical education and prepare the student for lifelong education. I suggest you check into Archway Classical Academy - Veritas.
http://www.archwayveritas.org

They are also located in a great neighborhood, close to Scottsdale and Central Phoenix.
I live in the area and my son attends Veritas Preparatory Academy. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Anita Gregolynskyj
602-405-6555
anitag@realtycentralaz.com
I currently teach in the valley and have been for 18 years. Todd Gould did a great job of outlining the areas. Two other areas that have good schools are Peoria in the Northwest valley and Lookout Mountain Elementary School in Moon Valley. Let me know if you have any more questions, thanks.
It sounds as your looking at Lifestyle as well as quality of schools. I'd suggest that you consider the Estrella Mountain area in Goodyear. You can learn more at the following website: http://www.estrella.com/ Great family community with excellent schools and offers a healthy outdoor lifestyle.
The Kyrene school district has been a very popular one over the years.
Best schools and most family oriented neighborhoods are in Chandler. Gilbert is a close second.