Schools in Wellesley>Question Details

Wellesleybuy…, Home Buyer in New York, NY

What are the best elementary schools in Wellesley?

Asked by Wellesleybuyer, New York, NY Thu May 28, 2009

I know the MCAS scores, etc. I also know that all of them are considered good.

I would like to know, if you ask most people in Wellesley what the best elementary schools are, what they would reply.

Answers

9
Mary Beth Grimm’s answer
Hi Wellesleybuyer, My husband and i have raised our three children in the Wellesley public school system. Each one of our kids had a learning disability and each was different. The Wellesley school system identified the issues and set a program for each child to accomodate their needs all thru their learning years. These programs became a part of who they were and how they learned from elementary thru high school. I cant say enough as a parent. THe school system was on top of it Best of luck mb
I think I would need more information about your chidl's learning style, and if there are any special needs. There are various SPED programs in different schools, and sometimes people choose their neighborhoods by what sort of classroom situation their child needs, so their child isn't "out of district". It also depends on your price range for a home, some of the schools are in very expensive neighborhoods which would rule them out if the homes were unaffordable.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 28, 2009
Thanks Laura.

The reason for this question is that we were looking at a particular Wellesley home, and the selling agent mentioned a comparable home but commented that that home wasn't as nice, etc etc, and was in a "less desirable" elementary school district. I was given the distinct impression that some Wellesley elementary schools were generally considered more desirable than others.

According to those of you who have been kind enough to reply in this thread, this is not the case. I remain interested to hear from anyone who thinks that it is!
http://www.ci.wellesley.ma.us/Pages/WellesleyMA_NIS/SchoolDi…
This has a map so you can see in color what each district looks like
Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies.

Can anyone tell me what the average distance from home to school is for the public Wellesley elementary schools and the children who attend them? I don't need hard numbers, just something like "most of the children who attend school X and Y live in the neighborhood close to those schools" while children who go to school Z live at more of a variable distance from that school."
I think you have to visit the schools and see which one "feels right" to you. Test scores can be misleading, the samples are so small that if one child is absent on test day the numbers can be skewed. You need to find the neighborhood that works best for you.
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your reply. I was told that after redistricting, some of the Wellesley elementary schools have children coming from multiple neighborhoods of varying distance to school, while others are more geographically tight-knit. Is this the case, and if so, which schools fall into which category?
You may not believe me, but you absolutely cannot go wrong with any of Wellesley's Elementary schools. All are even-steven in terms of ratios, class sizes, budgets etc. You can go to the MCAS web site, but those scores change from year to year based on the the composition of each incoming class. And because the schools here are small, you will find that the samples are too small for serious comparisons. Each has it's own personality or community culture based on the PTO. The passionate affection of parents and students in any one school is extremely postitive. My best advice is truly that you visit each school, take a tour.

The only differences are in the bricks and mortar-- how recently a school has been built or remodeled. That is an observation, but it is not what learning is all about.

In the end just find the house you like. I guarantee you that you will love your school.
Web Reference: http://www.kathyshouses.com
Additional info: We are interested in public schools only and have seen GreatSchools.net, http://www.wellesley.mec.edu, DOE, and other web resources.

The only answers which would really be helpful to us are those who are willing to offer straight opinion that "X and Y are generally considered the best" with no more than three schools specfied.