17440 N Western Ave
Another thing you can do is go to...
and it is a website where parents can actually rate the school. It is a great tool. Edmond Public schools offers Pre-K classes and it is an exceptional school system.
If you need any other help, feel free to contact me at 405.603.7443 or 405.625.1576 or email me at email@example.com
* The Goddard School was our 2nd choice, but they had a moderately long waiting list and it was not convenient for families living on the east side of Edmond. Nice people there and a fun atmosphere.
* Kids Ink looked great, but the waiting list for our 12mo old son was 8 months to a year.
* The FCCC church also had a well rated daycare in the area...with a 1.5 year waiting list. Another non starter for a family new to the area. Nice people, though.
* New Horizons seemed pretty nice, but did not fit with where we bought our house and it came in a little behind The Goddard School and My Small Wonders on our list. I was impressed with the Manager at the Western / The Deopt location and liked how well she ran the place.
* Child Time was a real stinker. They are corporate owned, which I learned means the manager on site did not have as much of an interest in maintaining the place. I visited several daycares at the same early morning time and Child Time was a zoo compared to the rest - messy with kids wandering without purpose. They gave me some lovely glossy brochures and detailed corporate contracts to sign, though.
* Outside of Edmond, I visited the downtown Greater Oklahoma City YMCA daycare and was very impressed. Clean, creatively / professionally designed facility with a well-managed feel to the place. It definitely would have been a top choice if we chose to go with a downtown daycare option.
We have had my oldest at the Edmond Y in the past, and they are cheaper than other places. I was not thrilled with the level of supervision however. We had our oldest at Camelot over the summer and our youngest is there in the Kindergarten room now. The staff there is very caring and they are paid well enough that they stay. Many of them have been there since the center opened in 2004. It is a relaxed environment for the kids. They play alot and the staff truly interact with the kids. Most employees know all the kids' names. They will be opening a new center in Deer Creek in the next few months. Camelot is a little more expensive than some other places, but they are dependable and worth it in my opinion. My youngest is thrilled to be joining the school agers for next summer, because they have so much fun!
Finally, there are quite a few fantastic in-home providers in the area. Check out the Edmond Home Child Care Association by calling 405-340-6940. There are a group of providers who meet for continuing education and do a pretty good job making sure that their members are good providers. I would follow up with DHS of course, but we found a fantastic woman who provided "next best to mom" care for my youngest for 3 1/2 years.
We had to make a DHS report about Kids Ink after a teen worker hit my child when he wouldn't be still at naptime. FCCC seemed great in many ways but when our spot finally came up, the room my son would have been in was chaotic.
Granted, we are pretty picky but most places we visited left us sad thinking of what a day would be like for our little boy. At New Horizons Quail, no one noticed us in the building for quite awhile, so we eventually just left. Goddard initially looked great but I heard through a friend about a mom whose child was sexually abused there and the person was dismissed and never reported.
Again, I can't say enough about how fabulous FPCE ECP is. The leadership and organization is incredible and parent involvement unbeatable. I loved the teachers--very skilled at keeping the day structured and individualized, very available, firm and encouraging--my son is challenging and thrived for the first time in any school. He started the year hating school and then couldn't wait to go. The communication was incredible.
Good luck with your search!
My Small Wonders is a new one that I've been quite impressed with, although none of my own children have gone there yet.
With my two oldest, we had fabulous experiences with Kids Ink, located off of Kelly, South of 15th St. That was several years ago, but knowing the owners personally, I'm sure things are still as good as they were then.
And of course, the Goddard School, which has been mentioned here already, is touted to be one of the best in the country. It's quite pricey, but if that's not an obstacle, this one's worth checking into.
Good luck in your search!