Schools in Edmond>Question Details

Steve Drew, Home Buyer in Edmond, OK

What are some good daycare or pre-K providers in the Edmond, OK area?

Asked by Steve Drew, Edmond, OK Thu Jan 31, 2008

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Edmond

Answers

10
The Goddard School is highly recommended.
(405) 348-4442
17440 N Western Ave
Edmond, OK

http://www.goddardschool.com//Schools/Edmond-OK/Schools.gspx

Another thing you can do is go to...
http://www.greatschools.net/
and it is a website where parents can actually rate the school. It is a great tool. Edmond Public schools offers Pre-K classes and it is an exceptional school system.

If you need any other help, feel free to contact me at 405.603.7443 or 405.625.1576 or email me at jennifer@dobsonmetrorealty.com

Thanks!
We ended up choosing My Small Wonders due to the location and the simple fact that they do not have a waiting list (at this time). The upside is that the place is sparkling new and they spared no expense in the building and the playground. All of the teachers either have college degrees, are on their way to getting a degree and/or or they are teaching certified. The major downsides are that this is the most expensive daycare in Edmond and the place is so new that there really are not many classmates for my 4yr old daughter. The main reason for so few pre-K aged kids is that most parents like to keep their kids in the same school from infant through K - meaning that the kids in My Small Wonders are mostly from families new to Edmond.

* The Goddard School was our 2nd choice, but they had a moderately long waiting list and it was not convenient for families living on the east side of Edmond. Nice people there and a fun atmosphere.

* Kids Ink looked great, but the waiting list for our 12mo old son was 8 months to a year.

* The FCCC church also had a well rated daycare in the area...with a 1.5 year waiting list. Another non starter for a family new to the area. Nice people, though.

* New Horizons seemed pretty nice, but did not fit with where we bought our house and it came in a little behind The Goddard School and My Small Wonders on our list. I was impressed with the Manager at the Western / The Deopt location and liked how well she ran the place.

* Child Time was a real stinker. They are corporate owned, which I learned means the manager on site did not have as much of an interest in maintaining the place. I visited several daycares at the same early morning time and Child Time was a zoo compared to the rest - messy with kids wandering without purpose. They gave me some lovely glossy brochures and detailed corporate contracts to sign, though.

* Outside of Edmond, I visited the downtown Greater Oklahoma City YMCA daycare and was very impressed. Clean, creatively / professionally designed facility with a well-managed feel to the place. It definitely would have been a top choice if we chose to go with a downtown daycare option.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
The Goddard school is rated highly, but a new pre-school that has been said to be as highly certified as Goddard, is My Small Wonders, it is located in the coffee creek area. It is a very nice area and school. This school totally supports a student centered curriculum, and certification is university curriculum bound. This school is also a family friendly environment, where teachers and parents are partners. All teachers have a bachelor's degree, and/or working towards a Masters. I would definately recommend you tell all and check it out yourself. Hope this helps, and goodluck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 3, 2008
Edmond Public Schools have 4-year-old pre-K that you can enroll in and is based on a lottery system.
Web Reference: http://edmondschools.net
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 9, 2008
Look out this website http://www.findingpreschool.com
Best place to look for all preschools in your locality..

Hope this helps...
I have had the benefit of having an inside look at several Edmond Facilities since moving here in 2001 through my profession. I will say that while Corporate Centers, i.e.: Childtime and La Petite Academy, have some pitfalls, they are also more apt to stay on top of the learning curve when it comes to curriculum. Also, I have been impressed by their changing image in the community of late. Pretty without much substance is how I would rate My Small Wonders and Goddard. Having known some previous directors from Camelot and Santa Fe CDC, I would not trust that my children would get the care I would want there. Kids Inc 1 and 2 are code names for two buildings in which the children are separated by their economic and social class. Those with state assistance are in one while those who pay privately are in the other. Also, the owner seems to be in some endless circle of financial issues and they have had several director changes in a year. Public school programs and YMCA are good if your child needs limited supervision. I will tell you that you will have small issues anywhere you go; it's a matter of how they are handled.
We have investigated Child Time and found them lacking. We also looked into Santa Fe CDC, but I didn't like how open everything was. At the time, they didn't have school buses either, but now they do. We also had the experience of wandering around New Horizons without being questioned, which creeped me out, but I have been told by a parent who loves it there that they have cameras that are monitored. Kids Ink was okay, but not my first choice.

We have had my oldest at the Edmond Y in the past, and they are cheaper than other places. I was not thrilled with the level of supervision however. We had our oldest at Camelot over the summer and our youngest is there in the Kindergarten room now. The staff there is very caring and they are paid well enough that they stay. Many of them have been there since the center opened in 2004. It is a relaxed environment for the kids. They play alot and the staff truly interact with the kids. Most employees know all the kids' names. They will be opening a new center in Deer Creek in the next few months. Camelot is a little more expensive than some other places, but they are dependable and worth it in my opinion. My youngest is thrilled to be joining the school agers for next summer, because they have so much fun!

Finally, there are quite a few fantastic in-home providers in the area. Check out the Edmond Home Child Care Association by calling 405-340-6940. There are a group of providers who meet for continuing education and do a pretty good job making sure that their members are good providers. I would follow up with DHS of course, but we found a fantastic woman who provided "next best to mom" care for my youngest for 3 1/2 years.
First Presbyterian Church has a fabulous CDO/pre-school/Kindergarten program. My son absolutely loved it and the individual care was bar-none. I researched dozens and dozens of programs. Camelot had a lengthy wait-list but the workers seemed well educated and interested in my child. Sante Fe CDC next door also seemed generally ok and had a tornado shelter, but we sort of just had an uncomfortable feeling about it.

We had to make a DHS report about Kids Ink after a teen worker hit my child when he wouldn't be still at naptime. FCCC seemed great in many ways but when our spot finally came up, the room my son would have been in was chaotic.

Granted, we are pretty picky but most places we visited left us sad thinking of what a day would be like for our little boy. At New Horizons Quail, no one noticed us in the building for quite awhile, so we eventually just left. Goddard initially looked great but I heard through a friend about a mom whose child was sexually abused there and the person was dismissed and never reported.

Again, I can't say enough about how fabulous FPCE ECP is. The leadership and organization is incredible and parent involvement unbeatable. I loved the teachers--very skilled at keeping the day structured and individualized, very available, firm and encouraging--my son is challenging and thrived for the first time in any school. He started the year hating school and then couldn't wait to go. The communication was incredible.

Good luck with your search!
Hello Steve. Having 4 kids myself, there are several daycare & pre-K programs here in Edmond that I'm very familiar with, and would recommend.

My Small Wonders is a new one that I've been quite impressed with, although none of my own children have gone there yet.
With my two oldest, we had fabulous experiences with Kids Ink, located off of Kelly, South of 15th St. That was several years ago, but knowing the owners personally, I'm sure things are still as good as they were then.
And of course, the Goddard School, which has been mentioned here already, is touted to be one of the best in the country. It's quite pricey, but if that's not an obstacle, this one's worth checking into.

Good luck in your search!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 3, 2008
There are a number of great facilities and programs in Edmond. Goddard and Primrose are the newest ones that are very expensive but are getting great results with new families. New Horizons has been around a while and does a great job and business. You might also want to consider the programs offerred by local churches. Henderson Hills, the Crossings and more offer great care. The issue is with most, if not all, of these locations, there is a substantial waiting list. Watch for Destinations Child Development Center opening this fall in East Edmond. Hope you love Edmond!