Schools in Copperas Cove>Question Details

Nada, Home Buyer in 07712

We're considering relocating to the Ft. Hood area. We have a 12 yr old son (7th gr) with Special Education

Asked by Nada, 07712 Sat Oct 4, 2008

needs. I've heard Killeen schools are having problems with gangs (scary!) My own research so far is leading me to think Belton and Harker Heights HS are the best in the area. Can anyone confirm or make recommendations?

Answers

3
I lived in Temple for a while (down the road from Killeen, Belton etc). I also have friends who work in all of the schools in that area including Harker Heights, Shoemaker, Killeen HS, Belton HS, and others.

My impression from my own experience and talking with my friends, is that Killeen schools can be unstable due to the transient nature of their clientele. This is not to say that they are bad folks. It's just that many of them have circumstances in their lives, which we do not have to deal with. Many military parents are re-stationed after only a few years, so it is difficult for kids to get adjusted to the area before they have to move again. This creates a sort of constant uncertainty in the air and I can possibly see this angst transferring to aggression in the kids. Shoemaker is the hardest hit, since it is basically next door to Ft. Hood.

Harker Heights has the same problems, but to a lesser extent. Many of the military families who attend Harker Heights are more permanent fixtures on base and more likely to stick around, but it is still in the Killeen School District and faces some of the same challenges that the other 3 HS's do.

Belton is a bit more rural and much less affected by Ft. Hood. This school district is highly regarded in the Central Texas area and would be a very good place to start taking a closer look.

If you would like more information about this part of Texas, please feel free to contact me through my profile. I am pretty comfortable discussing in detail.

Otherwise, Good Luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
I would suggest that you talk to a local expert. Mary Ann Daniell
Cell Phone: (254) 681-4875
She is with Coldwell Bankers locally
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 4, 2008
I would recommend BeltonHigh School for your 12-year-old son with Special Education needs. My recommendation is based upon a conversation today with a long-time friend of mine who is actually an administrator with another local area high school. I have 33 years of real estate experience as an agent and broker in the Harker Heights, Killeen, and Copperas Cove area and would be happy to assist you with your anticipated move to our area.

Janet Bass
Web Reference: http://www.janetbass.com