Schools in Goldsboro>Question Details

Scott, Both Buyer and Seller in Du Bois, PA

We might move to Goldsboro from Centrsl PA. 2 questions: What are the best elementary schools? Whst areas

Asked by Scott, Du Bois, PA Sun Nov 18, 2007

are best to avoid flooding from hurricanes?

Answers

7
Hi Scott. We've spent several years in Goldsboro and the Rosewood area schools and the area where CB Aycock HS are seem to be favorites with the folks we know. Both are in great parts of Wayne County. Realtors can't tell you that because it's considered steering and is illegal. (Also, Realtors will always want to refer you to a Realtor that can help you because they will get a commision for doing so.) We actually have a house in the Rosewood area that we are doing as a for Sale By Owner probably through the end of December. Shoot me an email at jonkrus@gmail.com if you are curious. It could at least give you some additional info to consider about the market there. If not, that's okay too but I'd still be happy to try to answer any questions that you may have about the area. Take care and good luck if/when you move! Chris :)
I agree with Chris, and would say that the Rosewood and CBA schools seem to be the most sought after. In 2008 we moved here, and we chose our home in the Rosewood area based on many factors; proximity to I70 and a shorter drive to Raleigh, a beautiful country setting, quiet neighborhood, AND excellent Rosewood schools. We have been here for 4 years, and are only moving because my husband just retired from the Air Force, and we are going home to Maryland to settle permanently. (We have a home to sell in the area, if you are still looking...! 102 Stonewood Drive, Goldsboro!) :)

*Scott, I see you are from DuBois. My grandfather, George Harvey (of Penn State flyfishing fame) was from DuBois, but lived in State College most of his life. I have been to DuBois a number of times, since I grew up in PA and MD, but it's not the type of town I hear about much. I was pleasantly surprised to see it on your post! Good luck with your move!
I would urge you to check the WCPS.org website for information on all schools in the area. Also take some time and visit the schools. As far as hurricanes and flooding, you will need to be away from the rivers as water flows from west to east. Many communities were affected days after Hurricanre Floyd. The water rolled off into rivers causing them to rise to unprecedented levels. By the way, that was the first and worst flooding I can remember in the 50 years I've lived here.
... Forgot part two of the question.... Wayne County did have some flooding as a result of hurricane Floyd. Some of the areas that suffered the worst damage were bought out by FEMA and the flooded houses were removed. Parts of down town and another area called Marmac also had bad flooding. Also, I know the Seven Springs area had some homes that were damaged. If you Google "News Argus" (the local paper) you could probably read the old articles on line. If you look at homes that were built before the storm then obviously they were not to adversely impacted. Otherwise, you may want to look at topographical maps (court house) to gage the flood plains. Honestly though, most of the flooding in the area after Floyd was a direct result of water being diverted when it was getting to high in Raleigh. Raleigh had some flooding issues so they released all of their extra water down stream so the city would not flood. As a result the more rural areas got hit very quickly with all of the extra water when it had nowhere else to go. Considering the impact that it had, I'm pretty sure that Raleigh would have to look at other options if another bad hurricane hit.
Just a quick comment... In many states, public schools are ranked with objective data (like average student scores on state-wide assessment tests). The quality of an elementary school is not based on the racial composition of the students. Therefore, I don't see why a realtor would be prohibited from commenting on school quality.
If you need an agent in that area, my company is the number one company in the state of Pennsylvania, and we have offices in that area even though I do not work there. I can refer you to a premiere agent in that area, just as we can also refer you to an agent in your area to sell your home ... if you are not currently working with an agent.

I am not sure how quickly you are looking to move, but there are quite a few bank owned homes that the banks want OFF their books prior to the end of the year, which could get you some good equity.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 18, 2007
Unfortunately, legally Real Estate Agents are not permitted to give any suggestions as to what schools are good verses bad. If there was a Chinese Couple who want to live in China Town, legally we are not permitted to show the homes just in China Town, we would have to show them homes all over the city. Then they pick which ones they like or don't like.

Many times there are local community web sites, that might be able to get you a name or two of a local resident in that area who might be able to tell you what they like or don't like about the schools in the area.