Schools in 66503>Question Details

Lori, Home Buyer in Manhattan, KS

We are moving to Kansas soon, and my two boys will be attending either Lee or Amanda Arnold Elementary. Which one is better?

Asked by Lori, Manhattan, KS Tue Aug 2, 2011

I keep reading Amanda Arnold has a lot of bullying, and I do not want my kids exposed to that! However it is closer to our home.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 66503

Answers

6
Kind of a late answer but here is my advice to you. It is correct. Amanda Arnold has a bullying issue all across, neither the principal nor the teachers want to address unless you press hard. There is a leadership problem in AA, which stems from the principal. If you have an issue unresolved with a teacher, do not even think about going to the principal because he dismisses the issue and will attack you and tear into the kid in order to make himself and school look good. I do not believe the principal even like children and the guy has unmanaged anger issues. I would send my kid to Lee if I were to do it all over again.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 29, 2011
Here is the info to which David alluded, Lori: The page for Lee at the website of the Kansas State Department of Education, http://online.ksde.org/rcard/summary/D03835124.pdf, and the page for Amanda Arnold, http://online.ksde.org/rcard/summary/D03835112.pdf. The only way to get some sense of bullying from state-level data is if disciplinary data were kept at these pages, and as you will see, they are not. These pages have demographic data, academic data, enrollment data, etc.

If you visit both schools, be sure to ask at each about bullying - how it is handled by school staff, what kind of bullying incidents there were last year, if the school uses any sort of program to help staff address bullying, etc.

Good luck with your move - and the link below is to my blog. I am a K-12 education professional that works with various groups to ensure that parents have the best info about schools and school districts.
Web Reference: http://www.dacha.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
I know this answer is late, but for anyone that's moving into this area and wonders. I had my children in both schools. I would at any day pick Lee Elementary over Amanda Arnold. Mrs Kohl the Principal and the teachers care about the children and are very involved. It also shows by Mrs Kohl knowing the children's names and personal relationship. We are at our 5th year at Lee, looking to purchase another house and are giving preference to houses in Lee Schools district. For anyone looking contact usd 383 transportation office and give them the address of properties you are looking at and they will be able to tell you in which school district the property is located for school year 2012-2013 Amanda Arnold did not care much for my children and also tried telling us that our son has ADHD, when a test failed, they said he has to have Autism. Either way we have to get him to a doctor so he can take medication. Once we switched to Lee Elementary with sat with Dr Kohl, guidance counselor and his teacher. They came up with a plan. He joined a support group for military children to cope with the effect of separation and their fears. And it worked wonders.A couple weeks in the support group and he was a happy go lucky child again. No meds needed ! All because someone cared enough to take a deeper look into the individual child. He could have gotten lost in the system! Not like AA where they had to look at his form to even remember his name. It was OK for other kids to tease him, because he seemed to be different and the new kid, instead they should have taught the other children to be more understanding and teach kindness and acceptance. GO LONGHORNS is all I can say.
My son has attended Amanda Arnold Elem for 3 yrs now and I don't see a bullying problem there. In fact, we love the school and find the kids and teachers to be great there.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
Either school is fine. Lee School is located more mid-town. It is closer to established neighborhoods and the university. Amanda Arnold is located on the popular west end of town. Both facilities have just undergone significant expansion / improvements as far as the facilities are concerned. Both schools are part of the USD383 system and enjoy high state education ratings. Hope this is helpful. David Speaks
The school your child attends is based upon the child's permanent address. Visit the district website at http://www.usd383.org and there should be a map available under the transportation section. Also, I'd suggest that you look at the website to see if there is a district policy regarding bullying. All schools within the district should operate under the same guidelines and policy. Overall, I think you'd be satisfied with either of the schools. Good luck and welcome to the area!