Schools in 33919>Question Details

sonali.peiri…, Renter in Fort Myers, FL

We are moving fron New Jersey to Fort Myers.Can someone tell me how Villas Elementary school , Tanglewood and Heights Elementary schools are?

Asked by sonali.peiris1, Fort Myers, FL Tue Feb 7, 2012

,particularly in terms of support for learning difficulty ( looking for speech and language, help within the mainclassroom to stay focused and instructions repeated if needed to). Peer group is also a big concern, which school has kids coming in from a caring and nurturing and decent families?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 33919

Answers

2
You really should call the Lee County School District at 239.334.1102 to speak specificially about your child's disability. The schools here in Lee County that offer special services offer those services for specific disabilities (meaning they have specialized services for autism, emotional disabilities, etc.). If your child has an IEP, School Choice does not apply and your child can go to any school in the district that best fits his/her needs. They will provide door-to-door transportation as well if necessary. You can also visit http://www.leeschools.net to get further information about the school district if you haven't already done so.
I live in this area as well. I still consider myself to be fairly new to the area. I have lived here just under 2 years. I have two elementary aged children of my own. I like the area, it is close to everything. My children also like the area. My children attend Heights Elementary School. This is the best school in the area! We are very happy with the teachers and staff, they are very professional. Lexington Middle School is one of the better middle schools and they too are an IB World School, this is just another reasn why I like Heights. Villas would be my second choice, I had done my internship at that school and the staff and principal are also great. Both Heights and Villas have leveled classes. So your child will be in a classroom with students similiar to their academic levels. However Heights has an IB World program and a brand new school building (they have been around a while but they got rid of the old school and built a beautiful huge school a few years ago). With the rebuild they upgraded all the classrooms with the latest technology. I heard a lot of negative things about Tanglewood, stay away. Check out the Lee County School District Website and look at the schools SAC report. This will let you know how the students at these particular schools scored. I do believe Heights has the highest score in this area. If your child has any special needs (IEP) then you need to also look at what type of services each school offers, that may make a huge impact. Lee county is a school choice county and normally if you put your choice in before March for the following school year (August) your chances are pretty good. If you cant make it into the first round of lottery choices then forget about it, your choices are pretty slim. Another warning, stay away from the charter schools. Six Mile Charter Academy has very low standards and no rigor. Charter school teachers do not need to be certified and they have high student to teacher ratios. Normally there are a lot of minority students that attend, this can bring students who may speak a different language, and socioeconomic disadvantages. This can be one of the reasons for their lack of higher order questioning, and rigor. Good luck and I hope I cleared up some things for you.