Schools in Sandwich>Question Details

Almostlocal, Other/Just Looking in Buzzards Bay, MA

This school is known locally to have a "zero referral policy" for students with special needs... why are the children of this school not?

Asked by Almostlocal, Buzzards Bay, MA Mon Sep 6, 2010

getting help? Many schools cry poverty, are finances to blame for the fact that students with obvious social and educational problems are being taught be teachers who are not qualified to handle the responsibility? Anyone who looks into sending their child to this school should question why "average" is all they can expect....

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Sandwich

Answers

1
have childeren in the Sandwich public school sysytem and have friends with children who have special educational needs. From my understanding Wing is the better option for these children and I've been told there programs are exceptional. We also have the option here on cape Cod of choosing a school from another town should we not be happy with the choices within the town you live. Just a thought. Good luck!
The program you're referring is a statewide program of participating schools, but it's geared more towards lower income, inner city kids being moved to better districts mostly outside of the Boston Public School System. Also, the program has a minimum of a five year waiting list just to have your application considered. When I inquired about this program, the lady practically laughed at me. If your child has a disability, make sure that you get them tested. Hire an education attorney, and go after the school district. My child attended private school until 2nd grade, when he was diagnosed with dyslexia. Since attending Boston Public Schools, he's been repeatedly beaten by the same groups of students, harassed on the bus by both students, monitors, and drivers. One driver was fired over an incident. He's been repeatedly humiliated, and demeaned by his teachers. His 5th grade teacher was the worst offender. My child fears school now, and can barely read,write or do math. There is no help
Flag Thu Sep 11, 2014