Schools in Yonkers>Question Details

Zack, Other/Just Looking in Westchester County, NY

The problem with school rankings...

Asked by Zack, Westchester County, NY Tue May 20, 2008

So this is a new ranking that is the # of AP/IB exams taken divided by # of students. It doesn't take into account actually passing the exam, or scores, just if you took it. Looking at NY, the top rated school in westchester county is Yonkers. Amazing. Horrible criteria.

Yonkers - ranked 80
Scarsdale - ranked 276
Byram Hills -ranked 357

http://www.newsweek.com/id/39380

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Yonkers

Answers

3
As a Realtor, I would never tell you one school is better than another. As a Mom of 4 myself, I know that what works for one does not always work for all. Parents need to pick the school that will be the best fit for their child. The school rankings and school reports are only part of the process, go and see the school, talk to the staff and see what you think for yourself. As parents, we know our children, and we need to be involved, even in the best schools, nothing will replace that.
Best of luck to you,
Kathleen Cruz
Coldwell Banker-Yorktown Office
cell# 914-552-7559
Schools. Man, didn't we really buy into that system huh? It's a foregone conclusion that kids "have to" go to school - oh wait - a "good school." Puh-leeze.

I have a guidance counseling degree and decided to shelve it after really realizing what goes on in schrewls. Be afraid, be very afraid...
Web Reference: http://www.tommcgiveron.com
I beleive it is best to visit the schools within the areas you are interested in. We also have a program that offers reliable school reports. I never heard of that formula! You want to know ratio of teachers to students and # of AP courses and % of students moving on to higher education, plus the other variables that a good evaluation would provide.
Let me know if I can be of help.
All the Best,
Karen from Katonah.com