Schools in 19335>Question Details

Lauren Zucker, Home Buyer in Downingtown, PA

Some of the homes listed on Trulia are confusing as to which school district my future children will go to. They say Coatesville and Downingtown.

Asked by Lauren Zucker, Downingtown, PA Sat Dec 5, 2009

How can I determine which is correct?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 19335

Answers

9
There is no rule, you have to check every house, can be different from across the street. Text me the address and I will text you which school district it is. 610-392-6522.
You can actually eliminate a specific school district or vise verse, search by one.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
Natasha
Call the realtor with the listing and verify the information if in doubt with the Coatesville and Downingtown school districts. The Coatesville number for administration is 610-466-2400. The Downingtown administration number is 610-269-8460. If the township is East Brandywine, that is Downingtown Schools. West Brandywine is Coatesville. Caln Township is Coatesville schools. Downingtown borough may actually have streets in Caln Township. For example. Beaver Creek elementary school in Downingtown school district is on Pennsylvania Avenue-but is one block away from homes that are in Caln Township-and those children do not go to Beaver Creek, but instead to a Coatesville area elementary school. It really helps to look at a township boundary map after verifying which townships are in the school district. Example: East Brandywine comes down the hill on Rock Raymond Rd. towards Downingtown Middle school-but at the bottom of the hill there is a wierd map configuration where a piece of Caln Twp. juts across the road-so the kids at the top of the hill are in Downingtown Middle School, but at the bottom, some would be in Coatesville Schools-directly beside the middle school! So don't go by the 'nearby schools are' information-because the nearest school may not actually be in your school district.
Hi Lauren. Congratulations...you've chosen a WONDERFUL time to buy a home!:)

I wanted to reiterate that the BEST way to be sure you find the perfect home for you -- in the location and school district(s) you've targeted, within your budget and which meets your specific needs -- is to hire a Buyer's Agent to represent YOUR interests. It won't cost you anything (as your Realtor's commissions are paid by the seller)...but the insight and guidance provided by a Realtor is truly invaluable. In fact, an experienced and knowledgeable Realtor will not only save you time and stress .... but also MONEY as well (effective negotiation is a necessary skill for both buyers and sellers in today's market...and can save you thousands of dollars).

Please call me direct at (610) 324-5240 if I can be of further assistance. It would be my pleasure to answer any additional questions you may have.

Good luck and blessings to you.........

Warmly,
Judy

Judy May, Esquire, REALTOR
"A Refreshingly Different Real Estate Experience"
http://www.JudysFineHomes.com
Judy.May@Century21.com

CENTURY 21 Alliance
2828 Audubon Village Dr
Audubon PA 19403
O: 610.666.0202 x. 226
C: 610.324.5240 (preferred)
F: 610.666.1942
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
Lauren,

As so many homes fall in different boudaries for township, school district and post office address a good way to find out is to get the transport phone number for the school districts you think it falls into, usually obtainable on line, and ask which school boundaries does that address fall in. Even as an agent for me this is the best way to make certain of which schools a child will go to from that address and is what I will do when listing a home.
Web Reference: http://www.vandekarteam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
Lauren,
Great question! It's not easy understanding school districts and cities/towns (zip codes). When you search on Trulia you are searching for a city and state not a school district. Because of the way school districts are organized you need to be able to search School Districts. You can't search school districts on Trulia.

You need to go to a website that will tell you the school district. You can search MLS listings on my website for free and with no obligation. If you've hired a Realtor to represent you, ask them to give you information on which school districts are in which townships. If not, you can request a map of the school districts on my website. That will require your name and a mailing address since it will need to be sent to you. No obligation either--just want you to know how it works.

Remember too, that your future children will not be in school for at least 5 years after they're born. Each school is different--each classroom teacher is also different. But, if you pick a school district that would make you happy today, it will probably do so in the future when you need it.
Web Reference: http://www.MainLineWest.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 6, 2009
School Districts, the USPS, and the Townships/Boroughs have different boundries. A Realtor can check Public Records for you and tell you what school district a house is located in. I had a listing that was across the street from Downingtown West, but was in Caln Twp. and was Coatesville Area School District.

Perry Stathacos
Century 21 Absolute Realty
1314 West Chester Pike
West Chester, PA 19382
Office: 610-692-6600 x303
Fax: 610-692-2227
E-mail: perry.stathacos@century21.com
Website: Downingtownareahouses.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Good Evening Lauren,

The absolute best way to determine a school district is to contact a Realtor. If you want your home to be located in Downingtown School District then be sure you let the Realtor know that. They can then send you via email all the homes that match your specific criteria in that particular school district. In this way you can avoid any confusion. Remember that sometimes some of the districts are split such as Downingtown which has Downingtown East and Downingtown West so be sure you are specific. Good luck with your search and feel free to contact me if I can assist you.

Jennifer Daywalt, Realtor
Re/Max Results Realty - Collegeville
Top Agent 2004 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Author of "Ask The Realtor" Column in The Saturday Edition of The Phoenix Newspaper
Licensed since 2001 in PA
610-489-7355 Main Office
610-999-7693 Direct Line
Sellinghomesjenn@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Keep in mind that the address and school district are often not the same. Some homes with a Coatesville address are in Downingtown school district and the opposite is also true. A lot of times these sites just pick up the closest schools to the subject property by distance. Just because you are close to one school does not mean that your kids will go there. School districts go by township. For example, a lot of Caln township will have a Downingtown address, and may be very close to Downingtown schools, but any property in Caln township would be part of the Coatesville school district. Most of the western part of West Bradford township has a Coatesville address, but all of West Bradford twp. would be Downingtown school district. Please feel free to call me to check the district of any specific homes that you find.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009
Lauren,

Where are the homes located? Some may be closer to Downingtown and the Downingtown Post Office , but actually in the Coatesville School District. It all depends where the township line is. Some could be in Coatesville school district, but have a Downingtown Post Office. Some of the homes in Downingtown Post Office actually go to West Chester Schools. It is very confusing if you are not familiar with the school district boundaries. It is usually homes that border on the township lines. If you give me the mls numbers or the addresses, I can tell you which school district they are in.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 5, 2009