Schools in Seattle>Question Details

Anne, Home Buyer in Dallas, TX

Seattle Public Schools-- Is the Seattle School District as good as any of the burbs?

Asked by Anne, Dallas, TX Thu Jan 3, 2008

We are relocating to Seattle. I've seen some lovely houses on line that are in the Seattle school district. But I'm wondering if it's like so many other cities... where if you live in/near the city-- you must go with private schools.

I welcome anecdotes and impressions... and if you have any research or news articles to point to, that would be great, too.

If there are certain neighborhoods/schools we should consider or avoid, please let me know.

So far-- we keep hearing that we should avoid public schools all together in Seattle (and instead, look at Issaquah, Redmond, Lake Washington School District, Snoqualmie Falls...). But I've read some positive research about some of the Seattle schools... don't know what to make of the drastic contrast in opinions.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Seattle

Answers

5
Here are two web sites that might help.

http://www.schoolmatter.com
http://www.greatschools.net

Also each of the public school districts ahve their own web sites:

Check out, Seattle, Shoreline, Highline, Northshore, Renton, and Bellevue. Many contain demographis information and things like WASL scores to help you make a comparison.

I used to work in the public schools so if you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.
this is a great answer with details that are specific
I have clients who prefer their Seattle Elementary School, Green Lake to be specific. Some prefer Northshore to Lake Washington Schools and vice versa, which usually means both are good and it's a matter of preference. Same with Issaquah and Sammamish.

The Seattle Times School Guide is a really good place to start. Put in the City and click public or private schools.

If you tell me where your children go to school now, and the State you are in, I may be able to point you to comparable schools to what you have now.
Hi Anne,
I can't specifically say anything about the Seattle School District having never experienced their system first hand. They recently hired a new superintendent to right the ship ...but i'm not sure what was wrong with the ship in the first place.

When I'm researching new areas for clients, ...the site I've referenced is a great resource to see how schools stack up with each other. In the top right corner, there's a link called Compare My School. Click that and you can select 3 schools from any district to compare head to head. It's quite interesting data.

Also, ..one of the district you didn't list that I know is really good is Northshore school district. Edmonds is also good too.
We lived in Redmond and our 2 children went to Snoqualmie School District, Fall City Elementary, and we "loved" it. The teachers and principal are amazing and they really care about the kids. There is diversity in terms of economic status, but I think that is a good thing. All of our neighbors are quite happy there too. My best advice is to go visit the school and ask about the parent participation. We also have a home for sale in Redmond, if you are interested email me at pooteron@msn.com