Schools in Glen Ridge>Question Details

pky, Home Buyer in 07043

Schools in Montclair vs Glen Ridge

Asked by pky, 07043 Wed Dec 26, 2012

We currently rent a house in Montclair and looking to buy a house next year. We have a 1 year old child and trying to decide which school/community would be better for her. I hear Glen Ridge schools are always top 5 in NJ, but one concern I have is the diversity. Our child is half Asian half black. Would she be comfortable in Glen Ridge, or is it better for her to attend a school in Montclair where there is more diversity?

Answers

3
I am an African American professional female who owns a home on the Glen Ridge/Montclair border. I just left the area because of the "diversity" issues. I do not have children, but I have interacted with people and their kids who have or had children in the schools as well as school and town officials because of issues I have had simply walking the neighborhood. I think your biethnic child would do much better in the Montclair school system if having a comfort level about people who resemble you, engage at your socioeconomic level, etc.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 6, 2013
Visiting the schools is an excellent idea. From my experience of working with many residents of Montclair and Glen ridge including the Mayor of Glen Ridge, I would not be concerned about your race.
Please let me know if you would like to meet for a free consultation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Dec 27, 2012
My guess is she'd feel more comfortable in Montclair public schools because of its diversity and do just as well academically there as in the Glen Ridge school system. You should take a tour of the elementary schools in both towns which would give you a better idea of where she'd fit in best.

If you would like any assistance in finding a home in either town, please get in touch.

Sloan Berman
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
sloan.berman@cbmoves.com
862-368-4963