Schools in Kennett Square>Question Details

Sepabuyer, Home Buyer in Landenberg, PA

Schools in MD, DE, PA areas.

Asked by Sepabuyer, Landenberg, PA Fri Jun 18, 2010

We are currently renting in Kennett Square, PA and are considering buying. Are schools better in PA (Kennett or Avon Grove), MD (Cecil County), or DE (Christina, Red Clay, or Brandywine)?

Answers

6
Delaware's schools are a disaster, anyone with resources there sends their kids to private schools. Cecil County is a rural DIstrict with low performance. Both Kennett and Avon Grove are decent Districts but the taxes in Avon Grove are exhorbitant. Buy in Unionville if possible, their is no comparison to the other districts and there is some affordable housing there in this market.
As the other agents have indicated, it is not possible for a realtor to give their opinion on school districts. We can however, tell you which school district we reside in and put you in touch with parents of school age children and PTA members of the various school districts. They should be able to answer your questions. Many of my clients have driven around to the various schools to get an idea as well.

Elin
Sean's right, it's considered steering and a major ethical violation to anyone that's a member of NAR.

However, I've found that most schools have the District Report Cards right on their websites. Check out the links below from KCSD and AG's websites. A PDF will open up. You should be able to do the same for the other schools and come to your own conclusion as to how they can meet your needs.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Chip

http://kcsd.net/pdf/District-Report-Card-08-09.pdf
http://www.paayp.com/report_cards/PA/RC08D124150503.PDF
Check out schooldigger.com and look on Philadelphia's magazine website.
I went to Nazareth Academy Grade School and then Holy Ghost Prep for high school which can be found in 19114 and 19120.

Other than that, you are right, we cannot really talk about schools. But I am free to say where I went. They consider it steering when realtors talk about schools.

Also another idea is to look for some forums online around schools and communities. You will be able to reach some people in the community that way as well.

Sean Dawes
adding- I've seen realtors are legally limited in how they can comment on school districts, but if any sellers or buyers have comments on the topic, I'd like to hear them. I think I can get a better picture by hearing from people as opposed to looking at tables of test scores.