Schools in Colorado Springs>Question Details

Tiffany Tayl…, Renter in Chattanooga, TN

Relocating to Colorado Springs from Tennessee. Cant decide between district 20 or 49 for my 6th grade athletic daughter. Any suggestions?

Asked by Tiffany Taylor, Chattanooga, TN Wed Jun 20, 2012

Answers

13
Kurt Clark’s answer
Both have good schools. The most important thing is the classroom teacher. They will be your child's instructor and role model. District 20, located on the north side of the Springs, received the state recognition as being one of the districts of distinction. It joined two others, Lewis-Palmer (D-38) and Cheyenne Mtn. (D-12), as being in the top 10 districts in the state for college prep and overall performance as public schools. D-49 is growing rapidly. Homes are a little less expensive in this district.
Other things to consider are extra curricular activities, sports, music and clubs. Your child's academic interests. Proximity to work. Shopping is readily accessible throught the Springs. If you have any other questions, please feel free to call or contact me.
Kurt Clark
Realteam, Realestate Center
719 235-6353
I am not a Realtor, but as a parent who has had children in both districts, go with 20. You can check on many state websites regarding the academic and athletic achievements of kids in this district, as well as check news for the last year or so regarding district 49, which is having financial and leadership troubles. I have found that the amount of attention and level of education my son has received in 20 has far surpassed that of 49, which was seriously lacking in many areas. It is well now that District 20 is one of the more desirable districts in Colorado Springs,
Web Reference: http://www.schoolview.org/
Thank you so much! That is information the web and agents dont know or cant say to me. God Bless You!
Flag Wed Jun 20, 2012
District 20 would be an excellent choice for athletics.
We chose to build our new home in District 20 and move from District 49 solely due to our unhappiness with the school district. The people who work there are wonderful but the leadership is a nightmare and funding issues have negatively effected the classroom (last year there were no more science fairs and fewer field trips at our girls' schools) and transportation. (I don't mind fee based school buses but the way it was implemented was ridiculous!) Voters in D49 routinely refuse to give the school district desperately needed additional funds due to lack of confidence in the leadership and the educational experience is suffering. It was time to go before things got even worse.
I would pay more attention to the particular schools than a district overall. It's the same thing as saying Colorado Springs a is a great place to live. Does that go for the entire city or just parts of it?
Tiffany,
I have two boys, athletes, who have both received football scholarships from attending a dist 20 school. Therefore, i am slightly biased. I would be happy to answer your questions if you would like more information, you can email me at cindifields@gmail.com
Hi Tiffany,

Both are great school systems with great athletic programs, however District 20 has the reputation of being the best school system in El Paso County. In my opinion, houses will sell for more money, quicker, than in almost any area of town. That means you may pay a little more for the same house in District 20, but it will come back to you when you sell.

Let me know if you need additional information.

Steve Caruthers
Hi Tiffany,

statistically District 20 is ranked higher than district 49. If you are looking for athletics you should know that in District 20 6th grades are not allowed to participate in school sports. They can do cross country or the intramurals programs but that it till 7th grade. Sixth grade is part of middle school but they are excluded from the athletics. You would be limited to club sports depending on what sport your daughter participates in. If you have any questions or want more info on the local club organizations feel free to call, 719-963-1622.

Rebecca & George Nehme
Good Morning Tiffany,

As a parent I appreciate your question. My children attended both dist 11 and dist 20 schools, and had good and bad experiences with both. I know parents who are very happy with dist 49. I think it really comes down to the school, which you can visit and determine in person in lieu of releying on filtered information.

Please let me know if I can be off assistance.

Micah Victory
Broker/Owner
Home Living Real Estate
528-8800
Both districts are great choices. They both have great athletic programs as well. Most of the middle schools do offer sports as early as 6th grade, but each school is different. They don't usually have school teams that you can join until 7th grade. If you would like to discuss this further, please give me a call.

If you have real estate needs, I specialize in relocating clients and would love to help you if you do not currently have an agent.

Kristi DeFazio
RE/MAX Advantage
719-459-5468
Hey there! I am a real estate professional here in Colorado Springs....been practicing here for 14 years now! And, I am from Chattanooga as well.....graduated high school from Hixson!!! Check out my profile pic and tell me if you know where the picture is taken?!?! ;) I have an athletic 8 year old who plays basketball, baseball, flag football, and golf here. Call me when you get a chance, or email me if you would like, and I can give you professional insight as well as personal opinions from a parent who has a child in one of the local, public school systems! And check out my website at http://www.pikespeakliving.com and you will see what I mean about my son and his athletic endeavors!!!!!! YAY!!!! I am soooo excited for you.....you are going to absolutely love Colorado Springs! Look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Courtney @ 719-232-3281
If you aren't working with an agent, I'd love to help you. Check out my website for helpful information under "Relocation". You can also check the following sites: http://www.greatschools.org/
http://www.homefair.com/real-estate/school-reports/index.asp
Melissa Kellerman- http://www.YourSpringsAgent.com
District 20 and 49 are both good choices. Our daughter went through district 12 and the thing I liked about it was that 6th grade is still at the grade school level - other districts put 6th graders in the middle school. She was in basketball and band all the way through high school. There is only one junior high and one high school in that district and over 26 sports available to the high school students! The schools here have web sites that you have probably looked at and those are good sources for statistics and a look at their athletic programs. % of high school graduation and continuing on to college were important to us as well. Feel free to email or call me if I can help answer more questions. Virginia Johnson . . . . vjohnson@ERAShields.com . . . or 719-527-1994