Schools in Saint Charles>Question Details

Christine, Home Buyer in Oak Grove, WI

Question about Francis Howell School District R3

Asked by Christine, Oak Grove, WI Thu Oct 23, 2008

How are their special needs academics compared to other schools in this area. I have two children with learning disabilities and we are thinking about moving. I like the year around idea and the AP classes but I want to know where they fall with disabilities. Do they put a lot of funding into it. I know Fort Zummwalt puts a lot of funding into theirs because both of the girls have gone through United Services but I need to know that their IEPs will be well looked over if they go to Fracis Howell. I also need to know what Schools in Fracis Howell do the best working with kids with disabilities.

Answers

3
Christine it really depends on what needs your children need and what their ages are. I know that Central Elementary has a wonderful program for children with learning disabilities and that continues throughout the rest of their time in school as well as out of school. I know someone who sends their children to Central mainly because of this program. They used to go to private programs but were not getting the needed attention. Her children are only 4 and 5 now and they still allow them in the program even though they are not in school yet. I hope this helps
Within St Louis County, the schools all put money into Special School District which then provides for the special needs students throughout the county, but in St Charles County and the City of St Louis, each school district handles it themselves. As a result, it can vary, not only by district, but also from school to school. I would suggest that you not only look at the school district websites, but that you call the individual district coordinator and talk to that person about your children's unique needs. If there is a support group in the area, I would ask the parents about their experiences within the district and with the individual schools, since that would be the most accurate, but note that it will change year by year as the staff change and your daughters learn and grow. If you need help finding the right people to talk to give me a call. I've worked with a lot of the staff there and I may be able to find the right person for you faster than you can find them.
Web Reference: http://www.YourSTLHome.com
The web site for Francis Howell School District is http://www.fhsd.k12.mo.us
Maybe this could help you get some answers or at least point you towards who you should talk to to get the information you desire.
I am a Realtor in this area and would be happy to help you investigate this further and help you find a home in this district, should you decide that is the best option for your family. Please let me know how I can be of help to you, if you are not already working with a Realtor. You can also check into more information about me and the schools and communities and homes available in St. Charles County on my web site. I look forward to helping you when you are ready.
Web Reference: http://www.TerryWillis.net