Schools in Los Angeles>Question Details

Alison Hillm…, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

Popular question in other cities, curious how students find housing in LA

Asked by Alison Hillman, San Francisco, CA Thu Jul 12, 2012

What is the best way for an out-of-town student to find an affordable place to rent Los Angeles without attending open houses everyday? Near UCLA and USC

Answers

3
Dear Alison:

Since you specifically mentioned UCLA and USC, both have student housing offices on campus that carry a list of vetted properties for lease. In addition, local landlords post their rentals in the Daily Bruin Newspaper (UCLA) or the Daily Trojan (USC).

My best tip, though, is to contact their alumni offices, tell them you are a new student, and ask if any alumni either have apartments for lease or rent out rooms to students.

Hope this helps...and good luck with school!

Meredith McKenzie
323-230-9749
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
This is great, thanks. Would you recommend I follow the same process if I was looking at other LA colleges as well?
Flag Fri Jul 13, 2012
Student housing board at the un iversity.
Drive around the Fairfax/Melrose area and call all the For Rent signs posted--the rents are usually reasonable--or better to say--there are some reasonably priced places in the bunch.
talk to other students.

good luck
Well, if I was right about mass transit, I am about this, too. However, I don't like to give away the "secret." Get in touch directly and I'll share how I myself made the transition in moving to LA without connections or much money.