Schools in Grants Park>Question Details

Ramiro Garcia,  in Grants Park, Atlanta,...

New charter MetSouth High being proposed for Grant Park

Asked by Ramiro Garcia, Grants Park, Atlanta, GA Thu Mar 6, 2008

Anyone familiar with the Providence MET school and philosophy? Currently, a new charter high-school is being proposed in Grant Park called MET South / Big Picture School. Anyone have any insight of their educational approach and success ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. As a founding parent of the Neighborhood Charter School, Grant Park Cooperative Preschool and now having my son at the Atlanta Charter Middle School, I am very intrigued about this new endeavor. Additional information can be found at: http://jrgarcia.yourkwagent.com/atj/user/AdditionalGetAction…

Answers

5
THANKS Ramiro. I have a 20 day old daughter, and in a few years, we'll be in Kirkwood wondering if the government schools that serve the Intown Atlanta area are good enough, safe enough and meritable enough for our our school age daughter.

Charter schools are a remarkable pathway around the pitfalls of government schools.

The Georgia Senate Education Committee is holding a vote regarding an "independent organizing commission" for charter schools. This piece of legislation creates a new entity, the Georgia Charter Schools Commission, which will focus exclusively on approving and overseeing high-quality public charter schools. I understand that there is a Georgia Charter Schools Association that can be reached at 404-460-9992 . Here's a link that enables a connection for supporting charter schools in Georgia - it enables a quick way to reach a number of different legislative reps, and of course, Sonny...

http://capwiz.com/publiccharters/issues/alert/alertid=110634…

Lets make it happen, Ramiro!
Good insight and information Lee - Thanks! Congrats on the little one, you have much to look forward to... and how time flies... I remember when we moved to Grant Park and our first son was 6mos. old so we had no worries about the schools - as we had plenty of time. But, boy did kindergarten sneak up on us. Our path on truly creating a grass-roots school by parents whom would not take no as an answer... We had endless meetings and took many paths with APS to finally get our Neighborhood Charter School. Once APS realized Charter petitions can be appealed to the State, they finally could not say no. They approved our charter, but leased us a building that need plenty of work.

There is much going on now with proposed legislation - hopefully the full per pupil funding will be approved as well as the approval process you mention. The greater Grant Park has been fortunate to have several quality schools available to our families. Many come from all intown neighborhoods, Kirkwood to Morningside to attend - as all have unique offerings. Our local public school, Parkside Elementary has special designation and gets top innovative teaching resources, so it's great to see the bar raised for education here in Grant Park.

Should be interesting what Kirkwood has in store for education in embracing their local schools. My builder will start a new construction home in Kirkwood and I should be listing it soon.
Web Reference: http://www.dweLLintown.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
OK, after a bit of digging... I found this web-site that's apparently working with the Gate$ Foundation - Should be interesting - http://www.bigpicture.org -

Still, if anyone has real hand information about this program, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 6, 2008
The Imagine Wesley School is expanding to eventually get to 8th grade. I've heard good things from fellow parents I know. Becasue of Imagine Wesley's success it's alleviated the long list of students trying to get into The Neighborhood Charter School in Grant Park. There is still a lottery and waiting list, but hopefully that will work out as families are also considering Parkside Elementary as another neighborhood school. It's great to have all the unique options.
Web Reference: http://www.DweLLintown.com
What do you know about the Imagine Wesley Charter School on Custer? A Bilingual Chinese / English curriculum sounds intriguing. Since the "China Investment Corporation" just bailed out Morgan Stanley by taking a 5% ownership position, I must admit that if my daughter learns Mandarin, she'll make a much better real estate agent in 2028.

There is so much good energy going on in Intown Atlanta regarding the absolute need for better public schools. Since we pay a large premium to the county and city to live in our neighborhoods, and since Georgia is in such a historically bad position as a general educator of our children, there is nowhere to go but up!