Schools in Los Angeles>Question Details

AL, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

NY to LA with baby. Neighborhood comparable to Carrol Gardens...

Asked by AL, Brooklyn, NY Fri Jun 7, 2013

My husband and I are considering moving to LA. Now we live in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. We have a one year old child. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestion on LA neighborhoods that could compare to the Bococa (Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carrol Gardens) or Park Slope area (children-friendly, good public schools, safe, green)? Last time we were in LA we really liked Silver Lake and Santa Monica, but we weren't thinking about family life. For us the size of the housing is not the most important part. I am ready to sacrifice space over a good neighborhood. For us what really matters is finding a community that is good for our kid. Like Carrol Gardens has been so far. I don't know much about his commute, yet. Any suggestion and help is highly appreciated!

Answers

8
I would suggest Palos Verdes because it is a safe and secure area to raise your child. Crime rate is lower there and the schools are top notch.

For more information, please contact me directly at: 310-987-2093.

Kindest Regards,
Alicia Price
Prudential CA Realty
Carson, CA 90745
I have been to New York several times but only as a vacationer not as a realtor. I am not familiar with Carroll Gardens Brooklyn. Money is not everything it is everything (smile). First you have to consider what you qualify for and then what is the best family neighborhood for you budget. Realize that you child is only one years old and will not be going to public school for a few years. On the other hand, school rating is a good indication of neighborhoods.
Attached is School Rating:
http://www.greatschools.org/search/search.page?search_type=0…
Community Information:
http://www.onboardnavigator.com/webcontent/OBWC_Search.aspx?…

Specialize in residential properties in: West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Marina del Rey, Venice and Playa del Rey.
Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty
Your Westside Homes
310.853.9933
A better way to approach it may be, what can you afford?
Do you want to be closer to the Ocean or the Mountains?
Where will you be working? Traffic can be hellish here.
Hi Al,
There is a neighborhood in Los Angeles that is very much like that. It's called Larchmont Village. It is like living in a small town within a large city. Larchmont Village is part of Hancock Park/Windsor Square. It has a great deal of history and charm and a strong sense of community. Restaiurants. boutiques, and shops of any kind, at walking distance from beautiful residences. The schools are among the best in the city (3rd Street Elementary and Larchmont Charter School.) The neighborhood is one that I specialize in. Please feel free to contact me for more information. Also please read more about the area on my website. I'm at your service.

Kind regards,
Pia Albanese
Prudential Cal. Realty
(310)621-1557(cell)
PiaAlbanese@msn.com
http://www.gotPia.com
Studio City has great schools. South Pasadena.

Lee
Web Reference: http://Www.homesbylee.com.
I am partial to Santa Monica.... is a pretty progressive city and is very diverse... It has lots of activities for kids... I have an 11 year old and 8 year old.. they have so many things to do and their school mates and friends and a very close community... I value diversity and am a pretty progressive guy, and this neighborhood reflects it.

I have sold condominiums and houses to people relocating from NY very recently... is also a very active community, with lots of things going outdoors... yes prices are reflective of the demand for housing in the area... but so does NY properties :)

best of luck and WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA... WHATS YOUR DREAM?

lol

RonE --310 691 3759
Progressive and diverse, sounds great. Let me ask you, do you recommend any specific area of Santa Monica? Prices are not low but again our priorities are set, community beats space.
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013
Santa Monica is a wonderful city to raise a family, with award winning schools.
Feel free to contact me directly for more info.
Susan@SusanBour.com
Silver Lake is a nice area with parks and recreation. It also depends on what price range you are looking around. There are stark differences in pricing from Santa Monica to Silver Lake.
Price per square foot and inventory are big factors. It also depends on what kind of living situation you are comfortable with.
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013
Santa Monica is more expensive than Silver Lake?
Flag Fri Jun 7, 2013