Schools in Goose Creek>Question Details

Ruth, Home Buyer in New Orleans, LA

My husband will be transfer to SC and will work in Charleston. We are going to move from New Orleans and we

Asked by Ruth, New Orleans, LA Thu Jul 10, 2008

have a 8 year old son attending catholic private school. Can you recommend any catholic school for my son. I was looking at Divine Redeemer School or Summerville Catholic School. Also, where do you advise us to move to? Goose Creek or Summerville? Please feel free to recommend other areas. we don't know anything about South Carolina. We would like to buy a house in the near future after we moved. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Answers

9
Hello Ruth, I did not see Blessed Sacrament Elem. listed in the emails to you. It is located in the West Ashley part of Charleston, wonderful school and has after school programs too. Having a Father in the Military, we moved often and all over the South. You will really enjoy everything Charleston has to offer in the way of "things to see and do" for the entire family. Our cost of living is low, climate is great, people are friendly, great shopping, and it is easy to learn your way around the city. The airport is about ten minutes away, downtown less than 15 minutes, and the beaches are less than 30 minutes. Good luck with your move! Imogene Thomas, Carolina One Real Estate, the largest real estate company in the Southeast with over 900 agents to serve you. Licensed Relocation Specialist, Seniors Real Estate Specialist, CRS,GRI, ABR, Broker Assoc. Voice Mail: 843-414-9020 and cell: 843-860-2247
Dear Ruth,
All we do is help people make the very best decisions about relocating to areas in the south, specifically SC. We are touring areas in SC this week and we know the area very well. Our firm does not concentrate or try to sell a specific area but rather make sure that you locate wants best for you.
We would enjoy hearing from you.
Marian Schaffer
The Schaffer Realty Group
marian@marianschaffer.com
Ruth, One more thing... Once again I do not live there, however have friends that live there, attended weddings, vacationed there etc... and a local realtor can tell you the best area based on your home buying range, what kind of lifestyle your looking for, your husbands job location (as far as commute)... BUT FROM ONE LA GIRL TO ANOTHER... I LOVE THE MOUNT PLEASANT AREA! (have to deal with going back and forth across the bridge depending on where he works, BUT I LOVE IT!!!) prior to coming back to Louisiana after the storm (had to help family) as we all have, I was in process of considering relocation from ATLANTA to Charleston or Wilmington...... and as far as missing home if you are a NOLA girl born and breed... it will be an adjustment.. no matter where you move.. we have our own little country down here as your know, but Savannah will really give you the closest feel to HOME... when I first moved to Charlotte (which is my TOP PLACE AS FAR AS PLACES TO MOVE) if going to a mid-sized city, I used to frequent Savannah and Charleston to feel more at home......... Asheville, North Carolina is gorgeous as well.... In Charleston your still a drive to big cities, you will have to fly to get out and about or drive 4-6 hours, however it will open up a whole new world... Being down in Louisiana if you get in your car for a weekend trip your still stuck in ark-la-miss or florida pan handle....... You can drive to snowskiing, you can go white water rafting, head to the beach, every town on the coastal region has a different feel... however "don't expect" the gourgeous blue waters we get in Destin.....
Congratulations! I'm a local realtor out of Baton Rouge.. however lived in North Carolina and Georgia for 11 years... know Charleston, South Carolina area well... You will love it. You get southern charm, some architecture downtown that still gives you a New Orleans feel... however it's clean, you get a great downtown area, the beaches, the southern feel..... The housing market boomed there about 5 years ago, .. however not sure of market now. Problem is lots of people want to live there, however not a lot of jobs... have a lot of commuters, people who work in ATL etc. that fly back and forth. Stay away from airport/base area... go past downtown and live over the bridge or head towards Folly Beach AREA... call some of the local realtors and leave them a message. See who calls you back. Tell them some of your desires... see how informative they are... get them to e-mail you some listings... and see which ones are "LISTENING" to you and seem to have your best interest at heart and are truly excited about your relocation. There are good realtors and bad realtors.... If you take a couple of hours to do phone interviews and screening, you will find the RIGHT REALTOR in the area.... I never refer any of my relocation clients out without PRESCREENING and PERSONALLY INTERVIEWING the realtors for them... It can make or break your relocation experience... a good agent can direct you where you need to be just by talking with you and assessing your goals, likes/dislikes etc. ONCE AGAIN CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Ruth,
My office is in Goose Creek and as a member of the Berkeley County School Board I have an excellent knowledge of our public schools.
Goose Creek is in Berkeley County and Summerville is in Dorchester County. I will be glad to research all of the private schools that interest you, there are a lot of choices. Are you interested in only Catholic schools?
Where to live is a matter of your preferences. Goose Creek and Summerville while similar have many differences. With fuel prices rising will your husband's commute to work be a factor? There are many more questions I would ask before beginning to advise you which area would fit your needs.
If you go to my website you can get lots of local information and I would be happy to answer any question you have by email.
Ruth,

Christ Our King - Stella Maris is an excellent Catholic School in Mount Pleasant - may be an option for you as well. My kids both went to COK-SM. Mount Pleasant is a bit more expensive for housing than Goose Creek or Summerville - but it is a beautiful community close to the beaches and downtown Charleston.

Goose Creek and Summerville are excellent choices - each to the West of Charleston - about 20 to 30 minutes from Charleston. Mount Pleasant is 5-20 minutes from Charleston depending on what part you live in.

I am a Realtor in Charleston - specifically located in Mount Pleasant. Please feel free to visit my website below to learn more about these areas and search form homes.

Take care and best of luck to you,

Jim Grady
The Charleston Real Team
Keller-Williams Realty
(843) 460-4939
Hi Ruth

Here is a link to the Catholic Schools in the Charleston SC area:
http://www.catholic-doc.org/

There's alot to consider as far as where you should move to within the Charleston area. I moved to Summerville when I first moved here and have recently moved to Mt Pleasant - becuase I found my business clients, social life, and my daughters attending the College of Charleston all kept bringing me more to this area.
Though it's only about 1/2 drive to Summerville from Charleston - during morning and pm commute it can take significantly longer.
It will boil down to wieghing out criteria such as:
* where will you be working
* which school is best for your son
* which Catholic church parish is best for you
* price range for a home

Feel free to visit my website at:
http://www.screlocate.com
To click on useful links with local information.. as well as search the entire Charleston area MLS properties at your leisure!

You can call me on my cell 843-323-1013
My email is: maureen@maureencody.com

I am a SC Realtor with Century 21 out of Mt Pleasant -- however I am happy to show you property in the greater Charleston area such as Summerville, Goose Creek,...or where ever!

Please feel free to contact me directly - we can cover more details of your needs via phone and email as this method of communication is more limited.

I look forward to helping you!

Maureen
Web Reference: http://www.screlocate.com
Ruth,
Bishop England in Charleston is the one Catholic School that I have remembered from when I use to live in Charleston and that was back in 78 when I was in school there. I have friends that went there and it is a well respected school.

Hope this helps,
Contact a realtor, they're usually very knowledgable about the areas they servcice. They'll know about the schools, churces, and the neighborhoods best for your little ones. Where can you find a realtor in your area? http://www.Realtor.com. good luck!
John Anthony