Schools in Las Vegas>Question Details

Margaret, Renter in 90262

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Las Vegas to raise our family of two boys. I was just wondering, since we grew up in Los Angeles and lived

Asked by Margaret, 90262 Mon Aug 1, 2011

here all of our lives, is it an easy transition from Los Angeles to Las Vegas?

Answers

17
Las Vegas is quite different than Los Angeles ; it obviously gets quite hot (you'll be fine by the second summer). You will obviously enjoy tax benefits and likely a sharp drop in the price of a comparable home. If you are a business person, it is great because you can literally walk into a billionaire just out shopping. The conventions are also a great source of business inspiration.
It is a more independent state and there is a lot of freedom that comes with our lifestyle. For your boys, a lot of the financial and personal advantages you will enjoy will flow downhill to them, so they will do fine.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 2, 2011
I grew up in Granada Hills, CA in the 1970's and moved to Vegas in 1993. I love Las Vegas. The traffic is a dream compared to LA. They don't cover the "best" murder on the news, they cover the ONLY murder sometimes for a week. Everyone comes here to visit. There's cheap flights to anywhere. The shows and the restaurants are the best on the planet. I have raised my kids here. The schools are state of the art, the sports and attitude is family related. I have always been safe. We celebrate holidays with friends because no one has 3 generations of family roots here. I find people to be friendly. I also find Vegas to be the land of opportunity. You can do anything and be anything you want to be. The nature of the beast is explosive and fun.

Now about real estate- the whole city is "on sale". With kids, you probably want a master planned community where your family will be exposed to the best of everything. Give me a buzz and I'll give you the "3 hour tour" of the neighborhoods so you can make an educated decision.
Knowledge is what you need right now. Finding a beautiful home is the easy part.
Let's get together! Terri Capodieci- Kurt's partner 702.656.1818
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
I lived in california for many years--- fullerton, costa mesa, huntington beach, buena park, studio city, and north hollywood--- While I enjoyed california, i found that Las Vegas was a place where I could not only afford to live, but also that I could enjoy living--- I am at your service if you would like to meet---

Paul May
Web Reference: http://www.mayteamlv.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi Margaret,

I made the same transition from Los Angeles, and found it very easy. The streets and atmosphere are much cleaner here in Las Vegas, that traffic is usually free flowing, there are some GREAT places to eat, relax, and be active, and I find it to be a better qualify of life, myself.

The only thing I miss about LA is... the ocean :) However, the lakes are VERY nice out here, and a trip to Mexico (or So Cal) is not a long-way away. I hope this helps!

Cheers.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
I too am from LA, growing up in the San Fernando Valley. The traffic isn't quite as bad, and there is still lots to do off of the Strip. Your boys will never like leaving their friends, but housing is a fraction of Los Angeles, gasoline is cheaper, and LA is less than 4 hours away.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 1, 2011
I lived in Los Angeles for 27yrs and 12yrs in Las Vegas. It's slower past then California. Little more relaxing. Less traffic around town. Can go anywhere in 30min or less. We got everything, except the beach. Im sure your boys love it here. Now just of matter of you picking the right community best fit your family life styles.

Ryan Dimang
Prudential Americana Group
7475 W Sahara Ave Ste 100
Las Vegas NV 89117
Cell: (702) 353-5035
(888) 828-5395
eFax: (702) 317-3359
email: ryandimang@gmail.com
How old are your boys and what kind of schools will you need for them? Las Vegas offers a lot of choices and you will definitely right about moving here. Would like to hear about your needs and wants before suggesting any move.

DAVID COOPER Foreclosure Specialist with 35 Years Investing Experience. *For a FREE List of Low Priced Bargain homes, Call +1-702-499-7037 or click website
Hello Margaret,
I don't know how old your boys are so it's hard to say. Of course you know that moving children at different ages makes a big difference...Kids do adjust more easily than adults..

Penny O'Brien with Simply Vegas
3042 S. Durango
Las Vegas, NV 89117
702.321.9383
Penny@PennysProperties.com
http://www.PennysProperties.com
I moved to Las Vegas from L.A. in 1985. Things are much different now, you WILL go thru beach withdrawl, but other than that we do have everything L.A. has, less the traffic and state taxes! Plus the house you can own here is MUCH better than the same price would get you in L.A.. We have many different style neighborhoods...just like L.A. or any other major city. If you need help relocating, I'd be happy to help.

Jeffrey Burnham
The Wizard
Encore Realty Group
702-682-2002
Hello Margaret,

The key to making a move an easy one is.... finding a Realtor that can recognize what your needs are as a family and being able to find a community that fits, easier said than done I know, I've moved so many times in my life I've lost count, but it makes you really good at it!

The majority of my Buyers are from out of state, so being able utilize our time when you come to town is imperitive. We will do a lot of work on line and narrow down the search quickly. As a Realtor that previews homes ahead of time much of the leg work is done before you even come to town.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at JTerry@RealtyOneLV.com

Happy House Hunting!!
Good Morning Margaret... .. Its nice that everyone has grown up or lived in California at one time... So wouldn't it be great to work with someone who has LISTED and SOLD real estate in LV for 20 yrs. and has been a 35 yr. resident of the greatest city in the nation to buy and invest at the greatest time in the history of real estate? If I can HELP YOU and your family in any way.. please call, text, or email me at any time.

Thank you for your business,

Monk Boyer
Realty Executives of Nevada
1903 S. Jones, Ste. 100
Las Vegas, NV 89146
Cell 702-768-8444
monkboyer@realtyexecutives.com
http://www.monkboyer.com
Web Reference: http://www.monkboyer.com
What exactly are your activities and interests in Los Angeles?
Las Vegas now has 2 million people and if you go 5 to 10 miles away of the Strip, you will be in suburbia, with shopping, schools, golf courses, recreation. You can actually live away from the strip and never have to go there.
I feel Summerlin offers the best mix of housing, shopping (Whole Foods) and recreation. There is a good selection of large, family homes, less than 5 years old, that can be purchased $150,000-$200,000.

Margaret
I lived in Los Angeles before I moved to Las Vegas. I lived in the Pasadena area. I moved here in 1971 and I found it to be an easy transition. I raised 2 daughters in Las Vegas. They both still live here. We have always enjoyed Lake Mead, Red Rock and the short drive to some excellent skiing at Brian Head Utah. Las Vegas is a wonderful place to live. There is always something to do.
Thank You
Suzie Marquardt
702-234-7653
fahrnyteam@yahoo.com
I have lived in San Diego - Orange County - Las Angeles County. I moved here with no expectations and have met great friendly people. I have raise a girl and a boy here who now attending UNLV. Education is important to me. Here is the link to Clark County school system http://ccsd.net/. Here is a link to the private schools in the valley. Email or call me if I can answer any more questions.
Louise Rozich
Hi Margaret, there are very few true Las Vegas natives here lol. I moved here from CA as a teenager and raised both of my son's here. I moved away in 2000 only to move back to Vegas Last September. It is an easy transition. I am sure your family will do fine here. I'd be happy to help you with your Vegas home search. Feel free to call or email me anytime. I look forward to hearing from you and working with you. You can also search for homes direct on my website anytime at http://FraserPropertiesLV.com.

Robin Fraser
Realtor. Broker-Sales
Epro SFR, CDPE,SFR
Keller Williams Realty, The Market Place 1
1333 N. Buffalo Dr. #270
Las Vegas, NV 89128
Email FraserProperties@aol.com
http://FraserPropertiesLV.com
Margret, Las Vegas is a great town with many choices.
Visit my website to research neighborhoods.
Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of help.

Bill Johnson
702-553-6543
Horizon Realty Group
We all have moved from some place else....Las Vegas is a beautiful City, and I would never want to live any place else.
Good luck to you
Izabel Graves
Prudential Americana GRP
702-239-1010