Schools in 90045>Question Details

Homeowner, Home Owner in Los Angeles, CA

Looking to start a career in Real Estate. What's the difference between online classes vs community college in getting a license?

Asked by Homeowner, Los Angeles, CA Tue Mar 26, 2013

I have experienced greedy real estate agents, loan fraud modification, and lost my home. I would really like to get into this field, so that others do not experience what I have been through. Would anyone be so kind to share some knowledge in getting a real estate license in CA? I'd like some opinions rather than school admission counselors trying to sell me to sign up for online school or any community college. Thank you!

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 90045

Answers

9
I echo what Douglas said below. I started by taking a few college classes, then I supplemented that with online courses. There are also excellent courses affiliated with major brokerages, such as the course we have with Keller Williams. I would say take at least a class or two with a live instructor who has been an agent. I picked up valuable tips that way that no book would have ever told me.

Have fun!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
Learning real estate in college will take you longer, but you would end up better off in real estate business ethics than otherwise. I've taken my courses in both college and home study, but it has been more valuable for me in college than home study. In college, I had a real estate attorney as a professor and an active broker as another professor.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Mar 26, 2013
Thank you
Flag Tue Mar 26, 2013
Hi Homeowner,

There are on-line courses, Real Estate schools and junior college courses. On-line courses are much quicker for you obtaining license than college courses. It has been a long time for me but real estate school may combine on-line and class site locations. I would research all three and decide what is best for you and lifestyle.

Gail Mercedes Cole
EXP Realty Marina del Rey
310.853.9933
It really depends on your timeline. If you want to really learn the science of real estate and take semesters of courses I would strongly suggest taking some solid college courses and coming out with at least an AA in RE.

But if you really want to grab the bull by the horns and get into the throes of the RE biz ASAP then take some online courses with some good mentoring. If that's the way you choose to go I would highly recommend Allied as others have suggested.

I took and passed both my RE salesperson and brokers courses from them and passed my test the first time on both. If you choose to go that route. Be sure to speak with Laura King, lking@alliedschools.com,
She's not a sales person. She's a counselor. In fact she can't even sign you up.

You have to go through the proper registration channels and once you've enrolled you can then reach out to Laura. She's the best there is and will hold your hand clear up to and through your test. When you pass your test you will thank her for everything she did to help navigate you through the process.

Dear Homeowner,

I think you have a good goal, to be the very best, most ethical and honest Realtor you can be. There are schools that specialize in Real Estate Education that many Realtors swear by.(Allied and Kaplan are two of them)
You might reconsider Jr. College courses as well as online as they might be the most reasonable courses out there with classroom setting and an instructor to talk with.
The important thing is that you learn well and are able to pass the exam when you finish the courses....but that's not the end for your education!

Once you pass the exam the real education will start at the brokerage where you will be trained. This is where many people make mistakes and you can't afford to be one of those. The broker must be committed to training new agents. You have to see a real training schedule, field work (open houses,door knocking etc), mentoring from successful and experienced Realtors. Some companies give "lip service" and do not deliver so don't sign on until you are absolutely sure.
Good luck it's a wonderful field and very exciting!
I took insurance live class with Kaplan and the instructor was amazing.
We learned so much from his experience.
Flag Sun Feb 14, 2016
Thank you!
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
It all depends on you. How do you learn best? Do you really want to learn or do you just want to get a license because you think this is an easy way to make money? Do you have a long term goal of becoming a broker? is this a career choice or the current "whim du jour"?
College is the way to go if you have long term plans.
thanks
Flag Wed Mar 27, 2013
Hmmm... where do I want to start with this?

I'm a firm believer that a real estate practioner should be well educated. College courses are the best.

I've run in to some real shady characters in this business. I later come to find they took some quick course to get a license.

Those who invest more in their education are usually solid individuals and are able to provide a wealth of knowledge and excellent service.
Thank You!
Flag Tue Mar 26, 2013
I took online classes from Allied Schools. You only need to take three classes to get your license.

I already have an undergraduate and a graduate degree so the thought of spending any more time in a classroom was not appealing to me. Plus whatever you need to learn in real estate you will learn once you are working and doing transactions. Your education comes from doing as opposed to from the classroom in this field.

If you Google Allied Schools you will find all of the information you will need to get licensed.

Good luck! I love working in Real Estate!
Thank you! =)
Flag Tue Mar 26, 2013
The online classes are faster or you can even do a home study. I have used First Tuesday Real Estate in the past & they are really great & helpful.