Schools in Ravenwood>Question Details

Kim, Other/Just Looking in 37013

Looking to relocate from Antioch to Brentwood/Ravenwood district with a sophmore in high school, as well as a 6th grader who currently attends Croft.

Asked by Kim, 37013 Mon Dec 28, 2009

My son is rather shy, and I know a transition at that age in high school can be difficult, especially with the differences between Cane Ridge High School and Ravenwood. Any tips for parents to ease the transition?
My daughter attends Croft Middle and loves it. I simply must get my children out of the neglected Antioch area, and although a little late, financially it is now do-able. Any suggestions? Thanks

Answers

6
Some the advice here is direct experience, so I would give defer to their life lessons, but a client of mine a while back made an excellent observation that seemed intuitive. Their family has made the move cross state, cross country, and cross cultures. Their feeling is that you want to make the move anytime OTHER than the Christmas break or summer months so that your child doesn’t come in as just a number, but rather as a special guest of sorts.

One of the children is very outgoing (so that made sense), but their other child is very reserved and still experienced the benefits vs. coming in at the” breaks.” In many of our local schools, the teachers actually have students volunteer to help “show you the ropes” as new student; allowing the new transfer to plug in to a few circles of friends almost immediately (as Kimble mentioned below).

This can also mean that your children have those friends heading into the long breaks from school – a nice thing for children relocating to a new city.

Does this make sense to you who have made / helped with the moves?

Kevin Pellatiro
Hoping to help you take advantage of the market – when you are ready.
(615)714-7918 | kpellatiro@realtracs.com | http://signswemustobserve.blogspot.com/
Kim,

Finding children with a common interest can really help children get adjusted to new schools. Ravenwood HS and also Woodland and Sunset Middle Schools (which feed into Ravenwood), all have great sports teams, bands and various clubs. They offer something for everyone. There are also many different youth community activities outside of the school to participate in, as well. I personally live in Brentwood and have helped many families relocate here. I would be happy to introduce you to the many beautiful neighborhoods in Brentwood, and help you and your children get settled and feel comfortable, in a new school environment.

Cece Wyant
Prudential Woodmont Realty
ccwyant@comcast.net
Kim,
Much of the advice already given is spot on. As a child, I also went through this difficult transition. Here are a few more things that can help.
1) PTA If you have time, get involved in PTA as a way to meet other parents. This is a good way to make intros between your son and other students.
2) A local church can help considerably with the transition, as well. There are youth groups associated with the church that your son can be a part of.

Finally, keep in mind that, although many of the kids in the new school have known each other for a long time; they are also eager to meet the new kid. Many of them can be quite welcoming.

Kimble Bosworth
bozTEAM of village real estateSERVICES
That is hard for kids, but they are resilient. My huband had to move his Senior year from a very small rural town to Nashville. It was a huge transition, but ended up fine. Just continue to be there to love and support him. Kids need to feel safe and loved at home and family dinners at the dinner table have proven to be effective in cutting down drug use, and anxietites for kids.
It also helps if you can find a friend or friend of a friend who has children in those schools. Try and get your kids together before school starts so they can meet and feel as if they have an ally. In addition, being involved in school activities from sports to clubs help kids find a connection and ease the transition. If he does play sports, contact the school and get the name of the coach and ask the coach for names of people who you might introduce your son to.
My personal preference is to get involved with a local church youth group. A church in the neighborhood is likely to have kids that go to school there; however, if you are not a church goer that might not work for you. I wish you the best and if you need help in buying or selling a home, please give me a call. I would love to help you.
Web Reference: http://www.mariaholland.net
Kim,

This transition can be hard for any child. I had to move from Alabama to California to Florida and then back to Alabama. Not only was I moving states but my accent was never correct:)

I agree with Stephanie on the summer transition. Those are the times that my family moved and as sad as I was to leave my current friends I was able to jump in pretty quickly with new ones. With you guys moving just a few miles down the road I am sure that the transition may be a little easier especially with the ability of having old friends over on the weekends etc.

Ravenwood HS is an excellent school and I am sure that the transition will be great!

If you would like to search the Nashville MLS then please check out our website at http://www.sstrickhausen.com

I hope everything goes well!
Stephen Strickhausen
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY
9175 CAROTHERS PKY SUITE 110
Franklin TN 37067
615-778-1818
615-480-5770
Sstrickhausen@gmail.com
Switching schools is always tough. My mother made a similar decision moving me from Cameron middle to Two Rivers- Donelson in 7th grade. I cried, I yelled, but eventually I got over it. Looking back it was a great decision.

I'd definitely recommend making the switch in the summertime; that way the new year is a fresh start. You might also try posting this question to the Brentwood section of City-Data forum -it's a fabulous resource.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/nashville/

I'd be happy to set you up to receive new listings via auto-email in the areas that fit your criteria if I new your price points, size requirements, etc.