Schools in Devington>Question Details

marleenaruss…, Renter in Indianapolis, IN

Is this a safe neighborhood for a single mother with 3 young children? 4155 N. kittley ave. Indianapolis,IN 46226?

Asked by marleenarussell, Indianapolis, IN Thu Jul 12, 2012

Answers

4
I wouldn't move there. If you can afford to stay in the south part of Indianapolis you should do just fine! My own personal preference! (Ben Davis schools on the west side are good schools too!) I've lived on the south side (greenwood) and up by Michigan and 71st street. I would never move back to the north side (unless it was north of 465, but that's pricey up there in Carmel). Beech Grove is another good area. Like Ali, suggested make sure to check out the crime rate maps, they will give you good ideas of safe places in Indy area. :-) Good luck! Indy is a great place and I'm hoping to move back there myself!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 12, 2012
My family lives in this area and there are two rival gangs that live in this are and shoot at each other frequently. Also they have a burglary ring in this are and several houses have been broken into including my brothers. Many of the houses where broken into in broad daylight but the neighbors won't talk to the police.
We live at Southport and McFarland and it's great! Very safe and a calm neighborhood. Check out this website -- it's maintained by IMPD and will tell you exactly what they respond to and where. http://imaps.indygov.org/publicsafetymaps/ this will let you compare areas of the city.
We are a young married couple, just had our first child and feel completely safe here. We moved here after our home on the west side was burglarized while we were at work. There aren't a lot of young couples in our particular neighborhood right now - but it's starting to turn that way
Hi Marleen,

That's a tough one to answer as there is a decent amount of violent crime in the area. Take a look at Trulia's Crime Maps to get a better sense of what I am talking about:

http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Indianapolis-Indiana/commu…

Schools are ranked 3.5 out of 10.

Be safe out there and let me know if I can help you with anything else!

Cheers,
Ali, Community Manager