Schools in Dana Point>Question Details

Jade, Home Owner in Dana Point, CA

Is there a heroin problem at Dana Hills High School?

Asked by Jade, Dana Point, CA Sun Aug 21, 2011

Answers

8
Hi, your questions is a bit out of context for a real estate oriented format site. A good question when concerned about your own kids so I get why you asked it here, Realtors do know a lot about certain areas in the communities they work in. I have been a Realtor for 11 years in the area and I have never heard anything about heroin at Dana Hills. I say this but my children do not attend Dana Hills, they will in about 4 years so I would also be concerned.
Generally the people in this area are doing OK financially and some of the children may have 'silver spoons' and I believe excess can lead to trouble in some kids. Generally everyone is very nice and the people are good people and I believe its a good place to raise a family. Anywhere your kids go to school will have its issues and you sound like an involved parent so even though I have not heard of a heroin, or other drug problem, at Dana Hills I believe you would be involved enough and guide your kids through any issues that would arise.
If I can answer any questions that would arise please let me know,

Brian Wilson, Realtor
DRE #01321478
949-933-0852
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 22, 2011
The answer, simply, is "yes." But the same can be said of any high school in this country, public or private. My daughter received her Master of Social Work degree from University of Michigan in April 2010. As part of her training there, she spent a year working with addicts at U of M hospital. All the local high schools there had the same problem. She is a 2005 graduate of Dana Hills High and went into social work because of all the bullying, drugs, troubled young people and troubled adults she saw and experienced in the public schools. The situation for our youth is truly devastating. How could we, as adults, have allowed things to become so terrible for them. Our youth deserve a stable, safe, decent, caring environment in which to grow up and they don't have that. Shame on us.
There is a growing heroin problem through out Orange County and Dana Hills is no exception. It is in the private schools too. There will only be a problem, however, if your child is the type to be seduced into the drug culture and despite what some people think, it starts with pot. I do not know a heroin addict who didn't use pot first. Prescription drug addiction is also a problem but you will be hard pressed to find a community where this problem does not exist. My daughter made it through Dana Hills without any problems. She stayed away from the druggies and had a very successful high school experience.... unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my sons. In the end, it depends on your child and his personality. A good, open and honest discussion about drugs is the first line of defense and don't be naive. Educate yourself on what to watch out for and go online and order some drug test kits (just in case). Don't be above doing a room search, you might be surprised at what you find. I know I was.
yes... i heard there have been three deaths due to drugs in recent years.. If you need a parent that has kids in this school please call me.. I can connect u.
949-510-1621/ meghan@theoragroup.com
A simple web search may give you a starting point, or direct dialogue with the school. Good luck
Hi jade. Emily I right this is not the forum for this kind of question. Check with the school or the local police department. Ingrid Ski Realtor
Try reaching out to this mother: http://lagunaniguel.patch.com/articles/a-mothers-message-to-… Other than that you should probably call the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
I don't think this is the best forum to get an accurate response to your question. Trulia's responders are 99% Realtors, there's no way for us to know the specifics about drug use at any High School.

You should probably set up a meeting with the school's principal or guidance counselor or maybe go to one of the PTA meetings with your concerns.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtors