Schools in 91302>Question Details

Steve, Both Buyer and Seller in SoCal

Is it worthwhile to stretch and buy in Calabasas to get in to the Las Virgennes school district?

Asked by Steve, SoCal Sat Oct 13, 2007

...Or buy in adjacent Woodland Hills for less and still enjoy most of what Calabasas has to offer?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 91302

Answers

7
How about perhaps for an answer? Calabasas is wonderful, but very expensive. You can go just over the hill to Agoura Hills and get the same school district and a comparable home for a fraction of the cost. The question i would want to ask you is about your commute. If work is taking you to the studios or the Westside, you may find Calabasas easier on you. Calabasas is the furthest east you can go an not be in LA Unified. reently a 4900 SF home sold in Agoura Hills for $1.6. Totally remodeled, pool, extraordinary, 1/3 acre lot. The same in Calabasas - without the large lot - would be $1.8+ and easily in the $2.2m. Conversly you can buy 2800 for mid $800 in Agoura but that only buys 2000 Sf in Calabasas. For 7 minutes commute, you just have to ask yourself - 'what do I want vs. what do I need, and what can I afford?'
Hi Steve,

Burbank has a great school district as well.
Have you checked it out?

I have many clients who move there for that reason.
I also have clients who have moved to Calabassas.
I think you should spend some time in both areas and see what makes you happy.
You know how driving is here in L.A.

You also mentioned Woodland Hills.
I live close to Woodland Hills and I love it.
As you said, you are still close to Calabassas.
What city do you work/commute? If you give me a call or send me an email
I would be happy to answer some questions.

Lisa 323 876-2456 ext116
Steve
The best answer is what is best for your family. The cost of purchase will a lot higher in Calabasas, but you get what you pay for.
I have had clients do the math between buying in one town and sending the kids to private school, versus buying in a more expensive town and having their kids go to public school.

You need to see what makes sense for you and your family. You might try visiting a school in each district and see what you think. Also, I would look at the school site plan and test score trends.
Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA
I have lived in the Calabasas area since 1978. I graduated Calabasas High School. The Las Virgenes school district is the best. The classes are small and the students get much attention. The curriculum is the best preparation for college.

Education is very important and a better school district makes a huge difference in the performance of your children, who they associate with, and their decision to go to college following high school.

As a parent it is your obligation to do everything you can to invest in your childrens future.

Homes are very affordable now, interest rates are very low. It is an excellent time to buy in the Calabasas area. The people are great, the lifestyle enjoyable. You can only benefit from this decision both financially and for your children.

I would be more than happy to help you find a home.
Hi steve,
I work in Calabasas and Woodland Hills areas, my office is in Calabasas. Schools in Calabasas are better. But again, as you were told, "How much of a strech" you are capabal and how long you want to drive to your office. You could reach me for further questions or help at philiposian@yahoo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 17, 2008
Hello Steve:

I am in Marin, but the only thing I know is that my husband's best friend lives in Calabasas and they just absolutely love the town,the schools and people there. He is a partner at a lawfirm and commutes more than 1 hour each way to work and thought it's well worth it.

Sylvia
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2007
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA
Hello Steve, Buyers are often concerned with school districts and the quality of education for their children (I take it that's your concern). But first of all, what do you mean by "stretch"? How much of a stretch? Have you been pre-approved or even discussed your loan qualifications yet? If you haven't, and you're asking this question, you should get connected immediately. If you have, and you qualify for higher but you're not sure about taking the risk, you are going to have to decide what goes into that risk and whether it's worth it to risk your financial foundation for a perceived or tangible higher benefit in a different school district. You should thoroughly research the new school district and the present one, for starters. When all is said and done, you should stick with a very clear financial management program and make your decision based on that, not solely on a school district.