Schools in North Charleston>Question Details

Anime~fan, Other/Just Looking in North Charleston, SC

Is it too hard to get into Academic Magnet High School?

Asked by Anime~fan, North Charleston, SC Thu Apr 15, 2010

I'm in 7th grade and i want to get into academic magnet well i just wanted to know what you have to do to get in and if you have to be like some sort of genius to get into it.

thanks

Answers

8
Sort of- I have just been accepted, and these are my 'stats':

A/B average, mostly As with high Bs,
Teachers love me, (I think...)
OK Essay, (My writing skills are pretty good.)
100 on the ACT

Also, did you get in? :D
To clear up some confusion, the question is about Academic Magnet High School. The school Dee repeatedly commented on below is Military Magnet Academy. They are two different schools. Academic Magnet admission is NOT a lottery and definitely has a competitive admissions process.

For the 2014-2015 school year, the Academic Magnet baseline requirements:
- All students applying to AMHS for admission must have completed Algebra I prior to the start of Grade 9 at AMHS.
- It is also expected that students score at or above the 85th percentile on the Explore Test in Reading and Math.

Academic Magnet eligibility/admission will then be determined based on the following criteria:
- Academic Performance: Grades in math, ELA, science, and social studies.
- Writing Sample: Given in all CCSD middle schools and at AMHS at scheduled times.
- Teacher Recommendations: Math, ELA, and Social Studies or Science
- Explore Test scores in Reading and Math

For the latest info on admission requirements, visit the Academic Magnet site directly: http://amhs.ccsdschools.com/

For info on Military Magnet Academy, visit their site here: http://militarymagnet.ccsdschools.com/
IT IS THE BEST MAGNET SCHOOL IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND THE NATION!!! I'M A PARENT AND HAVE FAMILY MEMBER TEACHERS THERE. PLEASE READ THE REST OF MY COMMENTS HERE BELOW. THE ONE I WROTE FOR ALEXANDRIA WAS MEANT FOR YOU! MAYBE SHE WILL THINK ABOUT THE MILITARY MAGNET ACADEMY FOR HERSELF OR THOSE WHO SHE KNOWS GRADES 6 -12. IT GOES BY LOTTERY SYSTEM AS TO WHO IS CHOSEN. THEY DON'T CHOOSE JUST THE BEST. MANY TIMES STUDENTS NEED A STEP UP TO BECOME WHAT THEY WERE MEANT TO BECOME. THIS WOULD DO IT! THEY ADD COURSES ESPECIALLY FOR 9th - 12th GRADERS. I JUST RECEIVED THIS IN MY ACCOUNT HERE (04/20/2012). DON'T GIVE UP ON THIS OPTION AS IT JUST MAY BE THE ANSWER TO YOUR DREAMS AND LIFE'S CAREER.
no it is not hard to get in the school
Web Reference: http://cccs.schools.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 23, 2010
READ ALL MY COMMENTS, PLEASE! ALEXANDRIA, I JUST RECEIVED YOUR QUESTION ALMOST 2 YEARS LATER! IT IS THE BEST MAGNET SCHOOL IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND THE NATION!!! THEY ARE CALLED "MILITARY MAGNET ACADEMY." GO FOR IT GIRL!!! FROM A MOTHER AND TEACHER THAT KNOWS!!! 04/20/2012
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
It is really dependent on a lot of things like the type of high school a person went to. My friend currently attends a tough elite magnet school in which all classes are honors level and good grades are hard to come by, kids have to work for their grades and usually a lot of the kids drop out. Those who drop out excel at regular high schools.

So who is to say that someone ranked outside the top 10 percent at an elite level high school is not smarter than the valedictorian at a district public school?

Next, doing good in high school gets you into the top colleges. Well I attend Cornell and I have seen some students flunk out already and they were at the top of their class when they came here. Getting into a good college does not write a story with a happy ending for you, as a student you have to work twice as hard so you can keep up with the competition there (at Cornell I rarely have time to talk to my old friends, I waste my time on here some days because I want a break).

The most important factor also is upbringing. You cannot expect a kid growing up poor to get ALL A's and get a 2400 SAT score, it is difficult to do. A rich kid has parents who can hire tutors and put him in prep courses so for a rich kid to get into Harvard, well that is expected. Could that same rich kid last in a poor kid's shoes?

"Do you guys think that those who graduate at the top of their class in high school will eventually live a good life?"

No, there is still a lot of room for error and a lot of room to trip up.

"Also, do you guys think that someone who did average in high school still get into a top university? (as a transfer or for grad school)"

Yes, Obama went to Occidental and then transferred to Columbia. I have see some transfers here at Cornell already who have made it here from colleges you have never heard of. Not to mention that Harvard Law has students from Oral Roberts University (look up the stats on their website).

"Would a student be better off excelling in high school but doing average in college or doing average in high school but excelling in college?"

Average in high school but excelling in college is the way to go. Even for some careers which only require a bachelors, you can still transfer to a better university after your second year so high school excellence is useless in most cases, it gives you a minor leg up, that's all.

By the time we graduate from high school, we have not accomplished anything in our lives. Academic excellence in high school means little to nothing because of the disparity between high schools.

http://www.termpaperstop.com/
YOU ARE SO WRONG! GROW UP! YOU LOOK UP DR. BEN CARSON, NEUROLOGIST, AT JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY, BALTIMORE, MARYLAND! READ HIS BOOK! AND I AM NOT BLACK BUT AN EDUCATOR MARRIED TO AN EDUCATOR WITH MANY FAMILY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS WHO ARE, ALSO! BESIDES, I KNOW THIS SCHOOL HE IS TALKING ABOUT WITH FAMILY MEMBERS TEACHING THERE!!!! IT IS BY LOTTERY TO GET IN WITH BOTH GREAT OUTSTANDING STUDENTS AND PURE SLACKERS! IT IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN THE STATE AND THE COUNTRY WHEN IT COMES TO MAGNET SCHOOLS!

IT'S 2 YEARS LATER SINCE THIS ARRIVED AT MY ACCOUNT. I HOPE YOU DID GROW UP AND DO YOUR RESEARCH. AFTER ALL YOU ADVERTISE TOP TERM PAPERS!!! HOW DID YOU TURN OUT?!
FROM A PARENT WHO KNOWS EDUCATION AND POVERTY
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
Dear Anime -fan,

As a former high school teacher, my advice is to speak with the guidance counselor at your current school. Your guidance counselor will be able to give you the information you are looking for since they would have access to your academic records and understand the requirements for the magnet school.

Best of luck with your education!

Maureen
IT'S THE BEST MAGNET SCHOOL IN THE STATE AND COUNTRY. YOU ARE A REALTOR SELLING PROPERTY AND NOT AN EDUCATOR. TOO MANY GUIDANCE COUNSELORS HAVE LEAD STUDENTS WRONG. MANY STUDENTS FOLLOWED THEIR HEART AND DESIRES. WITH DETERMINATION AND MOTIVATION, THEY ARE IN THEIR CAREERS THESE COUNSELORS SAID THEY WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO DO!
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
My daughter graduated from the Academic Magnet High School and absolutely loved it! The entrance requirements are somewhat stiff in that they may require a teacher recommendation, certain test scores and a writing sample. It will serve you well though if you go since the school has received a fantastic national ranking and historically gathers so much scholarship money for the students. My daughter was very much prepared for college so the work Paid off.

Good luck to you!

Cheryll Woods-Flowers
843-442-2219
cflowers@woodsflowers.com
http://woodsflowers.com
Web Reference: http://woodsflowers.com
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON!!!!
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012
I would think that one would have to have a command of the English language by showing proper use of grammar and punctuation. But regarding specific entrance requirements, I am not aware of what they may be. Good luck, Dan
DO YOUR RESEARCH, SIR! THEY ARE THE BEST MAGNET SCHOOL IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND THE COUNTRY!
Flag Fri Apr 20, 2012