Schools in Draper>Question Details

Rogue, Home Buyer in McKinney, TX

Is it OK for non-LDS to live in this community?

Asked by Rogue, McKinney, TX Tue Aug 13, 2013

This question was asked from http://www.trulia.com/property/3032319884-1777-E-Crimson-Oak…

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Draper

Answers

12
That is a good question when moving somewhere that has a large population of any group. I'm an agent and can tell you all the hoopla about the Fair Housing Act and discrimination, but that really doesn't tell you what the experience will be like living in a neighborhood that is predominately of one religion.

I have lived in several neighborhoods in Salt Lake County, and I have found the experience as non-LDS to be very pleasant. Overall people in Utah tend to be very good neighbors no matter what your religious affiliation. There is more diversity here than most people from other states realize and I've never experienced a problem feeling ostracized in any way and have always felt a strong sense of community, people watching out for each other, willing to help whether its the proverbial cup of sugar or feeding my cats while I'm away for a few days. I've had a great experience both personally and professionally.

I hope that helps, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions!

Wendy Starling
Starling Real Estate
801.759.1775
http://www.StarlingRealEstate.com
Thank you understood. I will move to Draper...I think the house is near the Draper Temple.
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
I am non-LDS and can honestly say that it is a non-issue. I've lived all over the country and in several foreign countries, with my past 4 years here in Draper, and find it an amazing and satisfying place to live with my family. It is a family-oriented, healthy, and outdoor activity focused community with great schools (both public and private), stunning infrastructure (light and heavy rail, core interstate, and a hub airport), and a plethora of employment opportunities - especially in tech. industries.

You will feel right at home. I promise.

Mike Quinn
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
801-372-9098
http://www.utahhomes.com/real_estate_agent/1467/Michael-Mike…
I am a non-LDS person living in Draper. I have been living here now for about four years and have enjoyed it very much. My husband and I are in our mid-to-late twenties, so this definitely affects our view of the community. While I have not had any problems, there are a few things to consider.

- Some business are closed Sundays, and in general, the community is pretty dead on this day.
- If you have children, will they feel left out if all of their friends are LDS? (I don't have kids yet, but I worry about this)
- Very few nightlife options, if you want coffee shops or bars that are open past 8 or 9 pm you will need to drive a little ways closer to Salt Lake.

In general, the community is very nice. Close access to the mountains, fun community events, great parks and outdoor space. I hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 27, 2013
I was not looking for a realtor, I was looking at how we would be viewed in a LDS community, i.e., ostracized.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Fortunately LDS people are wonderful neighbors and they tend to treat you the way you treat them, I am non LDS but most my neighbors are and I love it. They respect me and have never tried to talk religion with me. If you take the time to get to know your neighbors I truly believe anywhere you live will be a good experience, no matter what religion is around. I hope that helps. One more thing make sure you live by at least two mormons, that way they'll keep an eye on each other and that means less chance one of them will steal your beer. Sorry had to throw in a little humor.
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
I am non-LDS and have lived in Utah my whole life. There are some people in every community that will hold it against you, but the margin of those that do is shrinking considerably. I am treated kindly by everyone. If you are moving to a large area, like Salt Lake, there are more and more religions breaking into the areas, and LDS members are no longer the only ones there. I hear often from people that just move to Utah that are surprised by the warm welcomes and good neighbors and friends they make when they move to Utah. Good luck with your decisions!
Flag Tue Aug 13, 2013
Hi Rogue,

The Federal Fair Housing Act prohibits any form of discrimination based on Religion. NO housing community can ban you from living there based on your religion. If you are considering moving to Utah from out of state- please give me a call. I can provide you with resources so that you can compare neighborhoods based on things like crime statistics, school scores, community resources etc. That way you can decide which area is going to be best for you.

Utah is a wonderful place to live. I was born and raised here so I am very familiar with all that Utah has to offer. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jessica Cone
Exit Realty Legacy
801-884-8497
Jessica@exitlegacyutah.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 13, 2013
Not everyone puts barriers around them whether at work, in society, neighborhoods, or even religion. But people do because it's their style, shy, wanting privacy .... many reasons if you rerally think about it. I'm LDS ... raised inactive until age 14 .. then became active. I'm an out-going person and the first to take goodies to new move-ins, birthday of someone down the street etc. That's me. But if you want the truth ... the truth lies within your heart. Are you going to be friendly or stand-offish? If you're stand-offish then anyone not just LDS can take that as a 'don't bother me' and people will stay away. Be out-going ... get to know your neighbors because not everyone is LDS!!! Go with your heart open - it will bring you great joy and you don't have to worry about Books of Mormon being shoved down your throat ... we wouldn't like it unless we were searching for something other than our own religion. Fear is the tool of the Advisary .... don't be on his side. Take the good neighbor approach and you'll be happy. By the way .... I've been inactive over 7 years now do to health issues and yes, some other issues that came into my life. But it hasn't stopped the neighbors from caring, nor I from feeling of their love and concern. I sure hope I didn't over-kill on the subject!! Wishing you the Best Times ever! Enjoy and go without fear. I care.
Here is a slightly different perspective. I am LDS. I grew up in the San Francisco bay area. Then lived in the Los Angeles area for 8 years and the the Washington DC area for 5. I have now been here for 8. I actually know other LDS who refuse to live in Utah because there are "too many Mormons." But I can honestly tell you that my wife and I have felt like this is the best neighborhood we have ever lived in. We were truly surprised by the warmth. 50% of the people on my street are not LDS, and I have two of the best non-LDS neighbors in the world. We get together with the block for parties and FEMA emergency prep stuff, and everyone is really okay with everything.
Having lived in the area, and not of Mormon culture, does not mean we do not have morals. My family does not drink heavily and are respectful of other people. With an experience of living in this neighborhood, I can assure you, there are extraordinary people living here. Some are LDS and some are not, and the amount is relatively even. If you have experienced slurs in the past from LDS people, you will most likely not find it here. The majority of the people in this area are cultured and defined enough they have respect for people who treat them with respect.

I grew up the majority of my life in Utah from West Valley to Draper, and even Ogden. This gives me precious insight to compare. Out of everywhere I've lived in Utah, this is by far the best area.

I am NOT an agent, but a mother with the best interest of her two children at heart.
You are more than welcome to live here!!!!! We realize that all walks of human life have different beliefs, and the best part is ...... we don't have horns growing out from our heads!!!! Don;t worry ... just be friendly and we'll do the same!!!!
As a realtor who lives in Draper and this neighborhood, I can tell you that you would be welcome. As a realtor I do not discriminate in any way and the people I know in the area do not either.
Of course it is! You can live anywhere you want to, regardless of religious affiliation, political beliefs, etc. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong, and if they enforce it, they are breaking the law. So are you planning a love to Salt Lake from McKinney, TX? Give me a call and I can show you where some great neighborhoods are based on what your wants/needs are.

Dustin Brohm, REALTOR
"Salt Lake's Favorite REALTOR"
(801) 455-8753 cell
Equity Real Estate
http://www.DustinBrohm.com
As realtors and sellers we do not discriminate based on religion. You can live anywhere you want and if people try and tell you otherwise then they can get it big trouble.
Feel free to call me if you would like to see this home.
Search all homes the minute they hit the market at Http://www.RealDealUtah.com

Justin Critchfield
Century 21 Everest
801-891-5489
http://www.RealDealUtah.com