Schools in Austin>Question Details

Toni Welds, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Is Austin a good place to raise a family?

Asked by Toni Welds, Chicago, IL Sun Jan 6, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Austin

Answers

6
Joe Schiller’s answer
Austin has use of the CPD and the CPS and the parks system, there are churches, and grocery stores and healthcare facilities, there are some kids who are truant and some kids who will be scientist..go take a look..lots of great people and a few goofballs..just like everywhere else
I was born and raised in the Austin area, Ohio and Menard to be exact. It has changed drastically since the 80’s and 90's, you have a looooooooooot of goof ball gangbangers and so many shootings. So many homes have been lost to foreclosures and are still vacant. Our home was broken into twice; in the late 90’s and when we moved away while it was empty (2010). I believe it all depends on the block you live on. There are lots of neighbors whom have been living in the area for quite a while, many will not just sit by idle and let their neighborhood go down without a fight. But some neighbors don’t care; they have that "as-long-as-they-don't-bother-me-I-won’t-bother-them" attitude. As far as the schools, I went to Emmitt and Douglass (back when it was a grammar school -1989), I felt it did not nearly prepare me enough for the high school I went to. As far as Key School, I wouldn't send my dog there. With the way other schools are progressing, they are far behind. My daughter graduated from kindergarten in 2005 and is currently in a Magnet school, the comparison between the two is laughable. So it just depends….just do your research before moving…best way to judge the area, come back on kind of a warm night. If all you see is guys on the corner in white t-shirts…head for the nearest exit because it’s about to go down. I’m looking to move in a cheaper place but not going back and I’m from there, so that should tell you something.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 8, 2013
Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jan 6, 2013
A great website to check out areas is, http://www.city-data.com.
We as agents cant comment on this sort of thing. I would do your research. Go to chicagocrimebyblock, do research on schools, go there at all different times of the day and night. Only you know whats best for your family.
Some good housing stock and pricing. Go and spend some time there and see what you think.

We have a nice big house on Latrobe we are rehabbing for a rental, if you are interested let me know.