Schools in 80439>Question Details

L, Home Buyer in Atlanta, GA

Impact of failed bond on Evergreen schools

Asked by L, Atlanta, GA Sun Jan 4, 2009

We are considering a move from Atlanta to Evergreen in large part because of the quality of the schools (vs other towns in Denver) but we are concerned about the impact that the bond which was not approved during the recent elections will have on the schools. Any thoughts, advice?

I have 3 boys ages 3-8 and was going to send them to the Bergens but have also thought about the Montessori school or Evergreen Country Day but would prefer to send them to public schools - but not if they quality of the public schools will be significantly impacted by this potential issue related to the bond.

Many thanks.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 80439

Answers

2
Hi “L.”

Schools play such an impact in choosing the right home—whether you have children or not. In fact I strongly urge home buyers to review school reports for any neighborhood they are considering since, if nothing else, the relatively objective reports can give some valuable insight about the children that will be in and around your new neighborhood. That said the rejected bond (and associated mill levy measures) will have a significant impact on budgeting as we move forward.

The first of several meeting hosted by the Jefferson County Board of Education was held yesterday (January 3, 2008) and there are a four more scheduled for next Saturday morning. If you’re here, let me know and I’ll be happy to introduce myself at the Evergreen meeting which is being held at the Public Library, 5000 Highway 73, in Evergreen at 10:30 AM.

Here’s my opinion; West Jefferson County Schools are different than most around the metro area. Although they regularly test very well and the percentage of students going on to college is higher than average, they also provide a unique learning environment when compared with other districts. I have a team of real estate brokers and together we sell homes throughout the metro Denver area. I have helped families choose from a wide variety of inner-urban neighborhoods as well as virtually every suburb and believe a valuable part of that community selection process is understanding the value that each schools administration and staff bring to the equation.

For each community you are considering; I strongly encourage you to let me schedule a meeting with each school’s principal because simply said—your children are unique and each school’s missions, implementation and staff, can be assessed as to how they will match with your child’s learning style and interests. Since all of our public elementary schools in Evergreen are rated “excellent” the interviews with staff can be a valuable next step. Here are the links to the public resources for both Bergen Schools:
http://www.jeffcopublicschools.org/schools/profiles/elementa…

Back to the budget: In the past few years we have seen some very impressive improvements indoors and out, probably a function of private fund raising efforts and district, budget management. Yes, it will be tight in the coming years but our quality infrastructure and curriculum are in place.

The bottom line is the intangibles, the freedom of choice. Teachers, staff, and parents here choose to be here. Evergreen is not the most convenient commuter suburb, and it doesn’t provide the widest selection of McMansions—but it is Evergreen, Colorado. People live here because it provides an amazing quality of life. Along with that choice comes an attitude of achievement that is consistently passed to our children—no matter how badly the parking lot needs repaved!

Feel free to contact me for specifics and use my home search tool – a GOOGLE mashup of every home for sale in Evergreen at http://www.EvergreenFacts.com along with excellent resources to compar homes a variety of ways-- including by school. The map is not locked -- so you can use it to evaluate any neighborhood in metro Denver by simply zooming out and re-focussing on any area. As always call or email if I can help.

Bob Maiocco
Broker Associate
The Maiocco Team, Inc.
Keller Williams
(720)273-4262 direct
follow me on Twitter: BobTheBroker
http://www.DenversRealEstateNews.com
That is a good Question. I am not sure how the bond will affect the Schools in Evergreen.
We are in the Denver Metro area. Most of our Clients that are driven by Schools go for Douglas County and or The Cherry Creek School districts. Maybe you should check into them and we will research the Evergreen Schools and get back to you. You can find any Available home on our Home Search Site http://www.kennarealestate.com
The Map search starts out on Douglas County