Schools in Yonkers>Question Details

Kept Looking, Home Buyer in 10011

If you live close to a town border in Westchester, can you send your kids to that adjoining town's schools?

Asked by Kept Looking, 10011 Sun Aug 3, 2008

(Ex: live in Yonkers, send kids to Hastings HS, or Edgemont or Bronxville etc?). Seeking anyones response, not just RE pros. Thanks in advance.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Yonkers

Help the community by answering this question:


No. The bottom line is if you could afford to live in one of those towns you would so why live in (for example) Yonkers and then pay for your child to go to a Hastings school (which depending on the school may not be better anyway). Edgemont, Scarsdale and Bronxville are known for the great schools but the taxes are extremely high. Since Yonkers is such a big district, what I did was compare individual schools to those of the districts that I knew had good elementary schools (like the above and listed and Tuckahoe). Otherwise, you're really comparing apples to oranges. What I found when I compared was that the top Yonkers school (PEARLS) is just as good academically as the ones I listed. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 1, 2012
It depends. You generally cannot send a child for free, but if space is available in the desired school district, and you are willing to pay, you may be allowed to send your child. Beware, however, of the costs: I know one parent who investigated Hastings and the out-of-district costs there were $13,000 for elementary school.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 6, 2008
Close to a town border does not count. There are some homes in areas that straddle two school districts and then the homeowner can select the school district but you should check with the town first. We have had several situations where this has come up in Greenburgh and other areas.. However, as stated in the previous response, town & school lines are usually well defined.

If you have specific instances that you wish to inquire on are are interested pursuing, I would be happy to assist you. I can be reached easily by phone or email.

Steve Geiger
Associate Broker
Houlihan Lawrence
White Plains, NY
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 5, 2008
School lines are defined by state law. I think you have to think as an owner in the adjoining town. They are paying taxes and you are not. You have to make up for it. If you want to send a child to another school district, I believe you pay the amount the town has budgeted per child. I believe the only exception would be for a special child. Always check with the school districts and ask according to your child’s needs. You can always move, but obviously this can be cost prohibitive. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 4, 2008
You have to check with the town, city or hamlet in question. Everyone has different rules. Few will allow with some exceptions (mostly monatary)
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 4, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer