Schools in Portland>Question Details

CH, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

If one were to buy a home in 97222, could their kids attend Cleveland High School automatically or would one have to apply to transfer?

Asked by CH, Portland, OR Sat Jun 2, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Portland

Answers

6
Thanks for your responses. The PPS district was helpful when I called too.
Did you try calling Portland School District to inquire?

Carla Muss-Jacobs, Principal Broker/Owner
EBA Portland, LLC
Exclusive Buyers Agency
http://www.BuyersAgentPortland.com
Sally is right with all the information. Cleveland is a great school with many college courses offered and in high demand area. From what I read in the new papers in May, Grant , Wilson, Lincoln and Cleveland were blocked and not letting any new kids in. I am not sure what happens when kids more right before school starts and someone wants to go to that school. The issue is the money that the district gives up with a transfer student. Call the numbers and see what they say but I would not buy any house in the greater Portland area thinking I would be able to transfer schools. That was possible a few years ago. Good luck to you.
Mark's link below will help you if the house you are buying is within the Portland Public School boundaries. Much of 97222 is in the North Clackamas School District. If the house you want to buy is not in the Portland Public School boundaries, check with both districts about the transfer policies. Best regards,
The zip code 97222 is in Milwaukie, which is not a part of the Portland Public School District.

In the 97222 zip code, your neighborhood high school would probably be Milwaukie High School, which is in the North Clackamas School District. If you are interested in the International Baccalaureate program at Cleveland, you should also check into the same program offered at Rex Putnam High School (also in the North Clackamas School District).

For standardized school ratings, you can check out the Oregon School Report Cards at: http://www.ode.state.or.us/data/reportcard/reports.aspx and select the school district from the pull-down menu on the left side of the page.

Open Enrollment in schools is now a statewide Oregon LAW (House Bill 3681), effective January 1, 2012. Schools cannot prevent students from transferring out of their school or district. However, they can choose to opt-in, or not, to allow students outside their disctrict to transfer in. For example, Clackamas High School may lose 200 kids who choose to transfer to other schools that opt-in to open enrollment. But, they can choose not to opt-in, and new students outside of district wouldn't necessarily be able to fill those 200 spots.

This year, schools were required to decide if they would open enrollment to students outside their district by March 1, 2012. The annual open enrollment period took place March 1 through April 1. This law applies to grades K-12 and there would be an annual enrollment period each spring.

When I contacted the Oregon Department of Education (main phone 503-947-5600) to inquire about a list of participating schools, I was told there is no centralized list--families must contact the school district they are interested in and ask them directly, and fill out their transfer form, often available on line.

I hope this helps!

Sally Mehalovich
Principal Broker
Amerivest Realty
503-781-7575
http://www.PDXHomePros.com
This link should help you...

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/maps.htm

Mark Didier
Oregon First
503-351-4335