Schools in San Carlos>Question Details

John Spottis…, Both Buyer and Seller in San Carlos, CA

If San Carlos high school students have to go to Sequoia instead of Carlmont, will that hurt property values?

Asked by John Spottiswood, San Carlos, CA Fri May 11, 2007

Answers

6
This info provided from a family memeber who has had two children who have attended Sequoia, one currently a Freshman. Just an FYI her children have also attended Serra High School.

Here's what she has to say-

IB and ICAP programs are highly sought after and there are only two schools between San Mateo and Palo Alto that offer them: Sequoia and an expensive private school in Palo Alto.

I believe they have the highest volume of applicants and transfer requests (they also take the most due to the above program, they have more seats for students).

They got a new principal two years ago who is great, enforces a dress code, very hands on and has helped to change the culture. Finally, there sports program is great: Football went all the way to CCS this year.

If you have a high school student today, Sequoia is the school everyone wants to go to.
Web Reference: http://www.LisaSusnow.com
For years San Carlos boundaries have been divided between Sequoia and Carlmont high schools and thus far it has not had any damaging impact on home values. When my children were transitioning into high school most of their friends lived in the Sequoia High School district. This is taking us back to 2002 when my oldest son entered high school. If there was little or no impact during the past 9 years, I don't think it has or will impact values in the future. In fact I believe our San Carlos market has actually gained momentum.

I have found most families looking to purchase a home in San Carlos are young families whose children will be attending either elementary or middle school and they seem to be more concerned with their immediate needs. They don't appear to be deterred by our high school feeder schools when making a final decision to purchase.
Sequoia has really turned things around in the past decade. They currently offer an International Baccalaureate program that few other schools (an none in the Sequoia Union HIgh School District) offer. The current principal has hired some of the best and brightest young teachers on her faculty, and she's a very hands-on administrator, so the behavior problems of the past are largely gone.

Best of all, Sequoia's enrollment is far below maximum, so the student/teacher ratio is excellent. Carlmont is bursting at the seams, and for the first time in recent history they have denied transfer applications.

In the upcoming decade, Sequoia will be home to many high school students from San Carlos and I firmly believe there will be no negative impact on property values.
I have been a San Carlos resident for 22 years and my oldest son went to Carlmont but many of his friends went to Sequoia. Both schools are fine. As with most education, the most important factor is what each child puts in to the experience. Most schools offer plenty of honor and AP classes. I live in the White Oaks area of San Carlos which is in the Sequoia High boundaries and values in White Oakes are among the highest found anywhere in San Carlos.
I doubt it. If Carlmont were to close, and students were moved to Sequoia, Sequoia would improve dramatically with the influx of students. Sequoia deals with some socio-economic issues that Carlmont does not. Look at Menlo-Atherton as an example - located in Atherton with students from Atherton but test scores are not high. Has that affected property values in Atherton? I don't think so. I haven't heard any rumbling about Carlmont closing, have you?
Web Reference: http://www.wilkasgroup.com
As a San Carlos native (Eaton Ave.), I would argue that Sequoia is plenty good in comparison to Carlmont. Plus the area around Sequoia south to the Atherton border is transforming. Most of the investors I'm in contact with have focused on this area because they see the most room for growth in a cooling market.
Web Reference: http://www.flippingpad.com