Schools in Newark>Question Details

Sade1108, Other/Just Looking in Newark, NJ

I would like to know if Malcolm X. Shabazz high school is a decent school. Im new to the area and this would be my daughters district school..

Asked by Sade1108, Newark, NJ Tue Sep 7, 2010

How are the teachers? Are their alot of fights? are there gangs in the school?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Newark

Answers

2
Sade, I know Newark very well and grew up about 500 ft from the school (on Johnson Avenue). However, I don't know the inner workings of the school. I DO know that Newark, like many other inner cities, does have a gang problem. Additionally, Shabazz is located in the South ward of Newark which does have a crime problem. The good news is that the school is about 4-5 blocks from the police precinct on West Bigelow. The not-so-good news is that they are expanding that precinct into a $50 million dollar facility yet moving it about 5 blocks in the opposite direction. The best thing to do is to consult the police precinct on West Bigelow and see how many incidents they've had at the school. Also, hang out at Shabazz after school and witness the behavior of the students. Talk to the parents there. Visit their next PTA meeting and get a feel for the adults and children who inhabit that particular neighborhood.

Feel free to contact me offline or via email if you wish.
Sade1108,

I'm not sure of the answers to your questions perhaps you can check with the local police and/or Board of Education. NJ Monthly just posted its Top High Schools in New Jersey. I compiled a list in rank order of the Top Public High Schools in Essex County. http://activerain.com/blogsview/1841735/top-public-high-scho…

Please feel free to check out my blog and see where Malcolm Shabazz High School ranked. There's also a link in the blog that will direct you to the methodology used for calculating the top schools.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Lattimer Realty
Office: 973-575-6353 ext 17
Gina@GinaChiricoRealEstate.com