Schools in Rancho San Rafael>Question Details

Dee Anna Mcp…, Home Buyer in Mill Valley, CA

I've heard that the San Rafael schools are hit or miss. Which ones are good, which ones are bad?

Asked by Dee Anna Mcpherson, Mill Valley, CA Tue Jul 31, 2007

Answers

1
I assume you are asking about San Rafael schools in Marin County instead of Rancho San Rafael as your location indicated?

If so, you can look at my site http://www.SylviaSellsMarin.com/MarinAPI for the Academic Performance Index (API) score for San Rafael Schools.

However, we have to keep in mind that API scores, as any other standardized test scores, although very important and is a standard way to analyze school test scores, it is not evreything. Each school has very different approaches, offers different academic, atheletic, and extra-curriculum programs. The teachers, the students, the administrators and their support system, such as parents and communites are also very important to consider.

In general, from my conversations with other people, among the favorites are Dixie, Glenwood, Sun Valley Elementary, Miller Creek Middle, and Terra Linda High. Marinwood has ourstanding environment and great schools also.

Even with that, it's deceiving, because all schools are good in some way, all depends on what you are looking for. For example, Novato Sinalo Middle school probably (rumor has it) has the best music program for middle schools in Marin county, and now Miller Creek middle in San Rafael, but music program may or may not be important for you. I am also very impressed by the enthusiasm of the music teacher at San Rafael High School - who is the co-organizer of the Marin Home Show Benefit Jazz Jam program. O.K. you can tell that I am partial to music for kids - both my sons are accomplished musicians in their school.

Your best bet is to take the information you have, go and visit the schools and talk to some parents, both current and past to get the best picture of the schoosl.

If you want to go further north, Novato has some top schools in the county and great music programs. They also have outstanding GATE program (both contained and none-contained), Honors and AP courses. The new principal at San Marin High will definitely bring the school to a new level. So, you are not only looking at current performance, you should be looking at the potential also - all depends on the age of your children!

Hope this helps some. If you need more information, please feel free to call me at (415) 717-0293 to discuss. I will be very happy to help you with no obligation from you!
Sylvia Barry,…, Real Estate Pro in Marin County, CA