Schools in 30030>Question Details

Kiv129, Home Buyer in Decatur, GA

I need to know about the High Schools. I want to know how to compare Decatur High School vs Druid Hills or Oakhurst.

Asked by Kiv129, Decatur, GA Sun Jun 17, 2012

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 30030

Answers

6
Hi Kiv,
I know you asked awhile back, but I think it is a fantastic question. Also, in light of new events, I think it is worth revisiting. Traditionally, city of Decatur schools have been some of the very best in metro Atlanta. They still are, and the city charges $500/month for students who are not zoned there to attend. However, there are many wonderful neighborhoods very close to the city of Decatur that are zoned for Druid Hills. Druid hills has always been a decent school, but some of the schools that feed into Druid Hills are not so great. Recently, parents and residents have been trying to start a new program that would allow all of the schools that feed into Druid Hills to become their own charter school. This is great news for the Druid Hills cluster and even better news for home owners. If this goes through, housing prices could easily sky rocket. I really believe that now is the time to buy in these Decatur neighborhoods as they will be unaffordable in the near future.

Please call me with any questions! 404-484-8858. I am here to help!
Druid Hills High School is an excellent school. great teachers nice area plenty of community involvement . my daughter and several of her friends went there after leaving Atlanta publlic schools. it is as good a a private school IMHO. they don;t have many incidents because teh staff makes it a priority to get to know the students and the discipline policy is strict but fair.
All have good high schools but Lakeside is a great high school one of the best in the city. Feel free to contact me Chris 404-645-1976 1st Class Realty Professionals.
Hi Kiv,

The City of Decatur has its own school system with elementary schools including Oakhurst feeding into Renfroe Middle and Decatur High, whereas Druid Hills is part of DeKalb County schools, with feeder schools including Fernbank, Sagamore, Briar Vista, Laurel Ridge and others.
Druid Hills Middle School was known as Shamrock MS until this year.

All are good schools, but CoD schools are so in demand right now that housing int he area is a challenge. Good houses sell quickly, rentals are almost disappearing by word of mouth.

So much depends on the age and educational needs of your kids - Druid Hills has the IB program and a number of unique benefits, and being in the DeKalb County school system enables students to participate in magnet programs offered at a host of schools.

Decatur HS invests more per student and spends it more efficiently than neighboring school systems.
Some DeKalb residents choose to pay tuition to have their kids attend CoD schools, which is also an option, depending on where you choose to buy or rent a home.

I have lived in this area all my life, know it well and love sharing it with others. I would be happy to help you find a home that fits your budget, your family's lifestyle and your children's academic needs.

feel free to contact me any time at Metro Brokers at 404-843-2500 and I'll be happy to discuss the schools and point you to some websites and blogs that can help you with your search.
Happy Father's Day.
Hello Kiv129-
You have come to the right place and I would be delighted to answer your question, but to tell you the truth there is not enough space in this forum. It would really take a conversation.
My story is as follows: At a young 54 I am loving my second career as a Realtor. But it is my first career that gives me more authority than most to answer your question. Before I was a Realtor I taught for many years in the DeKalb School System. As a teacher for high achievers I was certified to teach K-12 and my assignments included Druid Hills HS, Fernbank Elementary, and Kittredge Magnet School among others. As a Decatur-based agent I have also made it my business to become familiar with the workings of Decatur City Schools.

Please feel free to call. I would be more than happy to tell you anything you want to know.
Cordially,
Sherrie Crow
404-790-8184
Keller Williams Realty Metro Atlanta
I have a great deal of information for you-- and recommendations based on my personal of the school systems.
Go to great schools.com ans see ratings and rankings on all schools.