Schools in Somerset>Question Details

Angela, Other/Just Looking in 15541

I'm wanting to go for my Realtor licenses. I have done a search for places whom offer the classes. Is it best?

Asked by Angela, 15541 Tue May 19, 2009

to take the classes that brokers offer or find an independent school that offers the classes. One more question, the one place i found offers at home courses for 1/2 the cost of the instructed classes. I'm just looking for opinions on the different ways to get your licenses.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Somerset

Answers

3
There are some brokers that will offer the classes for free. That is, they will send you to the school and they pay the bill. The catch is that you would need to stay with the company that paid for your classes.

This is what I did when I was in Greensburg, PA. I signed up with Northwood Realty. They have an excellent training program for new agents. Unlike some companies, Northwood Realty will train new agents instead of expecting them to know what to do.

My advise to you is to interview several brokerages in the area(s) you wish to market. See what they have to offer for pre and post license training, see if they give the opportunity for leads, etc. Be wary of those places which offer a "base" pay plus commission. You will need to come in when they say, do what they say, call the people they tell you to call and you have very little room to do things on your own. Also, see what kind of splits there are with the commissions and other fees which you may see from deal which are made.

Don't sign anything until you have made a well educated choice.

Hope that helps,

Terrence Charest, e-Pro®
REALTOR®
Century 21 Associates
905 Easton Road
Willow Grove, PA 19090
Cell (Preferred): 877.614.1494
Office: 215.659.5250
Fax: 215.659.5550
http://www.HomesForFreedom.com
tcharest@HomesForFreedom.com
“Giving to Those Who Gave”
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 19, 2009
Like you, I was considering Real Estate as a career choice! I did some research and chose to go with Northwood Realty Services. They paid for my classes and my contract stipulated that I would work for them for 3 months. That seemed to be a reasonable trade. I've worked for Northwood for a little over a year now; I've not regretted it and I've done well. I have found that their training program is tops and they assign mentors to new agents so you have help when you get started! Those licensing classes are just the start to your education as a Realtor.

I should warn you that the content of those pre-licensing courses are a little dry. I considered a computer based training program too. At the time my youngest child was 3 months old and I wasn't looking forward to traveling back and forth to class and being away. But, hindsight being what it is, I'm glad I chose to take the class with other people. It made the content easier to understand and it gave me a community of new agents to bond with!
If you have concerns that taking the classes with a particular broker would cause issues with that broker expecting you to affiliate with them, a lot of times real estate licensing classes are offered by a local community college.

When I took the classes it was through Long and Foster. After I passed the course and sat for your licensing exam I was under no pressure to hang the license with Long & Foster. I did, however, but was in no way pressured or expected to. I was free to pursue whatever brokerage I chose.

My advise would be if you are thinking about taking the course at a particular brokerage, sit down with them first and find out what their expectations and/or demands might be before you make a decision on taking the classes through them. Interview several brokerages that offer classes. Then you can decide to take the classes there or check out a local community college. Hope this helps.