Schools in Memphis>Question Details

Van, Home Buyer in Florida

I have three school age kids- two elementary and one high school and I am thinking of moving to memphis but I

Asked by Van, Florida Mon Nov 26, 2007

am now scared about the bad public school system. ANy advice?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Memphis

Answers

10
Van,
There are a lot of great school systems in the surrounding Memphis area. You might also consider Northern Mississippi. Desoto County schools are an excellent option as well as Germantown or Collierville which were not previously mentioned. I am currently moving to the Memphis area with school aged children. It is a good time to buy in the area. Good Luck!
What is your reason for moving to Memphis? Is this a move for the sake of moving or a great job opportunity? Or perhaps a mandatory job transfer. This makes a big difference in the answers you will receive.

Schools are very important and in my opinion our childrens education should be a priority but you providing for your family is also a priority. I am in Georgia and not in Memphis but I am assuming that you have researched the schools and know that their test results are poor and that the reputation is poor. If you need to be close to Memphis for a job than I would recommend that perhaps you look at other areas close by Memphis that would provide you with better schools.

Do you have an agent in Memphis. If not, I would contact an agent that truly knows Memphis and surrounding areas so that they can help guide you. An agent cannot steer you but they can provide school information and school reports so that you can make an educated decision. There are great websites that can rate the different schools.
Germantown schools are fantastic. I don't know where the thought came from below that Arlington High is the only Shelby County school to choose. There is nothing to fear...Shelby County schools are among the best in the state--all A+ on the state report card for some Germantown schools. We would never even consider private school--it would be a waste of money.

Good luck in your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 9, 2008
Van, Memphis City Schools seem to get a lot of bad press, but the system offers excellent programs for students who qualify and for parents who seek them out. If you are looking in East Memphis/Colonial, there are fine schools nearby. I suggest you do a little research at http://www.mcsk12.net/ and at Shelby County Schools (yes, a completely separate system for areas outside the Memphis City limits) http://www.scsk12.org/. Make school visits and evaluations part of your home search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 26, 2007
Hi Van,
Please do not listen to any agent that tries to sell you into any Memphis City school area. You must get out into the county.

We also live in Lakeland and love it, but are being transferred this year. Our lovely home in a lakefront community has a big back yard with a water garden and playground will be available for rent. It's Lakeland Elememtry (the best!), Arlington MS & HS (also great). This is comfortable (3 mi to the mall), safe living with wonderful neighbors.

Email me at AtlantaMerkles@aol.com for any info on Lakeland or the house for rent.

Best wishes, and stay out of Memphis (been there done that, won't go back)
Sue Merkle
There are many wonderful schools in this area. My daughter attended Houston High, Houston Middle and Farmington Elementary so I know personally how great those schools are. We chose to live in Collierville so she could attend those particular schools. Collierville is a suburb of Memphis and about 30 minutes away from Memphis. I also know many people who love many of the other schools, both county and city. To find more information on individual schools, click on my website and go the to schools link. shirleythomason.yourkwagent.com
Hi Van: Our County School system is wonderful and has many great suburbs/neighborhoods to choose from. Memphis isn't quite as bad as the media portrays it to be! We also do have some great City schools to choose from as well (I attended Memphis City Schools). I can set you up in the auto mls system to view homes that would be in areas of great schools.....feel free to email, call or visit my website any time for further information! Hope you choose Memphis!
I right now live in the Lakeland area and just love it. We are minutes from the best schools the county has to offer...Arlington Elementary, Middle and HIgh schools. We are moving in a few months due to a job transfer and part of me is relieved. While the Lakeland/Arlington area is gorgeous, safe and far enough away from the city, the fact that Memphis is on the FBI's highest crime list and is typcially highlighted as the city for homicides on "48 hours", makes me want to stay as far away from Memphis as I possibly can. Things will never change around there.
I will suggest White Station for Hi, Grahamwood Elem, & White Station Middle ONLY for MCS's. Be sure to do a thorough check, in the city of Memphis you MUST pick your schools 1st then pick your place to live in those zones. I only recommend Grahamwood Elementary if your children can test into the optional program,if that does not suit you then I do not recommend Grahamwood. I'll be point blank, if you must live in the city limits of Memphis, you should do private!!!! If you can, live in Shelby County for the school. I know that Arlington/Lakeland is great. Don't do any SC Highschool other than Arlington High, be sure you live close to the actual High school because word is out in the newspaper that they are re-zoning the Arlington High area for the '07-'08 year. My sister is now caught in this delima, they will move out of SC totally or be forced to do private. I was raised in Memphis since I was 3 days old but moved out of state about a year ago,BY CHOICE!!!!! I lived in Mem., Cordova, & last in Arlington. We have 4 children so I've been in all levels of the schools. You MAY pay a little more for your home in Arlington than in Memphis but you will end up paying for private school in Memphis. I strongly hope you will really consider if you must move to Memphis. Check the city stats on sperling's best places to live or even the FBI web for the crime stats & compare them to your possible other options. It's a difficult place to raise a family. Good Luck
Hi, I am a Real Estate Agent in the Memphis Area. While the Memphis City School System has had it's share of bad publicity, there are some great schools in the surrounding areas. Many prefer the County school system (Shelby County); one of the most sought after in the area currently is the Lakeland/Arlington school district. My sisters two boys attend their as well - they have a broad curriculum and great scores. It is still only 15-20 minutes from many areas of Memphis. Another alternative is Tipton County - it is approx. 20-30 min. from downtown Memphis but has an exceptional schools as well, plus low taxes and affordable housing. I hope this helps! Good Luck - Misty
Web Reference: http://www.mistyjones.com