Schools in 97405>Question Details

Francine Aus…, Home Buyer in Arcadia, CA

I have a 6 and an 8 year old children. What would it be like for them to grow up here?

Asked by Francine Austin, Arcadia, CA Sun Nov 29, 2009

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 97405

Answers

5
It is a good place to grow up here. 4J schools are good and a lot of people like Pleasant Hill schools. I have lived here all my life in this general area. My children graduated from Creswell schools. I went to 4J schools through 5th grade and then attended school in Junction City. Just as I was about to graduate they hired some teachers new to teaching and they were better teachers than the ones that taught me.
Hello Francine,

I also have two children. One just turned 7 and the other is 8. Our family moved here in 2005 from Southern California as well. I am from the Antelope Valley, (Palmdale, Lancaster area) so coming to Eugene was a complete change. The trees and greenery is so pretty here. The people are generally a lot nicer here and you can still wave to your neighbor's. It is a more relaxed pace here, and traffic - I crack up at! It is considered traffic if you wait more than a few minutes. Nothing like CA traffic! The schools here along with the teachers are so much more interested in the well being of the students. Class sizes are smaller. In Thurston, (an area of Springfield) they just built a brand new elementary school which has all of the bells and whistles you could imagine. New equipment, computers, etc. The school they tore down was so quaint and had this great country feel to it, but it definitely needed to go. My children don't remember CA, except from whe we go on trips, but they couldn't be happier here. It was definitely the best choice for our family to make.

If you haven't been out here yet, you should! Autumn with the trees all changing is just breath taking! The rivers are so pretty. I would be more than happy to show you around town! We have so much to offer here in Oregon.

Please feel free to check out my website or call me at 541-242-5125.

Shannon Caldwell
Keller Williams Realty Eugene and Springfield
Licenseed Broker in the State of Oregon
Hi Francine,

We moved here in 1994 when our girls were 3 and 6. Our youngest is now a Senior in High School. I have a license to teach High School in addition to my license to practice Real Estate. Our family has been pleased w/ the choices and quality of education in the area.

I would enjoy chatting w/ you about the Eugene/Springfield area if you are interested in moving here. I find that it's easier to answer questions and get a feel for what is important to you and your family when we can connect in person.

Please feel free to give me a call anytime.

Chella Gehrett
Hybrid Real Estate
541-520-7847
Web Reference: http://www.choosechella.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 29, 2009
Hi Fancine,

We moved to Eugene in 1984... a U.S. Forest Service transfer. At the time my three daughters were just getting started in grade school. The Eugene school system had a good reputation, and I found that true. Our two oldest daughters finished college and are on their own. Our youngest, are they always the adventuresome, has just been offered a position to manage Gold's Gym on Saipan.

After school Eugene has Kids Sports. Thousands of kids participate in a program where participation is the goal.

My daughters, like many children and adults, loved trips to the coast where there seems to be unlimited beaches and camping areas to explore. There are also the Cascade mountains where hiking, fishing, and winter sports attract youngsters of all ages. We do not get much snow in Eugene. So, when we get a few inches it is a big event for the kids.

The University of Oregon, Northwest Christian University, and Lane Community College offer close to home higher education.

Eugene is promoting its connection to the arts. There are a number of small theater venues as well as The Hult Center for the Performing Arts. Programs at the Hult Center cater to all ages and tastes. Families look forward to trips to Portland and to Ashland (Shakespearean Theatre).

Biking is a big part of Eugene. The bike paths on both sides of the scenic Willamette River meander through parkland, and the two sides of the river are connected by four bike/pedestrian bridges.

Eugene has a YMCA. We also, although not know for having a lot of swimming pools, do have a recently remodeled, very nice, public swimming area with outdoor swimming pools and a toddler's wading pool.

There are a lot of neighborhoods and a lot of parks. Each neighborhood and park has its own flavor.

I hope that this short introduction to what your children can look forward to when living in Eugene is helpful.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Vince Puleo
REALTOR
VPULEO70@HOTMAIL.COM
(541) 729-0023
I moved back to Eugene (after living in Portland and San Diego) to start my family. I couldn't imagine doing it anywhere else.

We have decent schools, short on money but not the way we see in other areas, where schools are falling down. Because we are a college town there are a lot of parents interested in education and in active in their children's schools, especially in the South Eugene and Ferry Street Bridge areas (closest to the UO) .

We have very few private schools. Our public schools are good enough that few people feel the need to send their kids to private schools. As for outside of school, there is not a lot of crime, and kids play outside without worries.

A good place for Eugene statistics is http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Eugene&state=OR or http://www.city-data.com/city/Eugene-Oregon.html.

If you would like to know more about living and growing up in Eugene I can go into detail. Full disclosure, I am a Realtor and would also be happy to talk to you about buying, but won't bug you about it.

Sharon Aly
sharon@fanrealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.fanrealty.com
Amazing place to grow up! I grew up in Harrisburg, not far from Eugene and my kids were all raised in Junction City area. Great mix of the rural and the city which helps keep them grounded in life!
Flag Wed Oct 30, 2013