Emma De Cres…, Home Buyer in New York

I am unfamiliar with philadelphia and wonder if I could get advice on which the best school districts are .

Asked by Emma De Crespigny, New York Sun Nov 13, 2011

Answers

6
There are few good schools in the Philadelphia district. In fact, some are absolute nightmares. It's sad to hear a kid say, "I GOT ALL A GRADES!" and not be able to explain why they have to work a lot harder because of the school they attend. Why harder? Harder because dysfunctional schools are so rift with behavior problems, chaos damaged resources and depressed teachers that mutiple choice test end up being the prime measure of intellect. Real, give and take discussion... the kind that builds critical thinking skills... is profoundly neglected.

Good school: Take a look at Penn Alexander, in the Univensity of Penn area; an excellent facility. Students, teachers and administration are top notch. It goes from elementary to 8th grade and has a university feel to about it. I found seventh graders with a best seller, reading assignment that was on a master's, university level ... no fooling. Don't worry. These kids were not missing the fun kids should have. They enjoyed appropriate and healthy leisure time. There were others but this one is a bench marker..
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 24, 2011
Hi Emma,
I have found this website to be a wonderful resource for finding information on schools, daycare, and other programs for my own son, and for helping families moving to Philadelphia find the best area for them. It includes statistics and links to individual schools and map boundaries for the districts.
http://kidsincentercity.com/schools

In addition to working as a local Realtor, I'm author of the guidebook, Moon Philadelphia, and I am the Philadelphia writer for the website About.com, so I have a lot of knowledge of schools, neighborhoods and basically all things Philly. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Feel free to contact me directly by email or cell phone anytime.
Karrie Gavin
Elfant Wissahickon REALTORS©
2000 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215-260-1376
karrie@elfantwissahickon.com
Author of Moon Philadelphia (http://www.travelmatters.com/book.php?isbn=9781598808865)
Writer/Guide for About.com (http://philadelphia.about.com/)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 13, 2011
Emma:

I am a former New York resident currently living in Philadelphia and I specialize in helping families that are interested in living and raising children in Philadelphia. There are some stellar educational options here, and I would love to help you find the right school,neighborhood, and community for your move.I have a wealth of information to share with you, please email me privately and I can provide you with lots of options. I live in Queen Village and live in center city. Welcome!

Ana Barlow, Coldwell Banker Preferred, Philadelphia

anabarlow@gmail.com
Last month there was a article on the
Area that you are referring to and a
Few others that may be of interest
If you like, get in touch with me and I would be happy to scan and send it to you
Best Always
Dennis Conwell
Accredited Buyers Representative
Prudential,Fos&Roach. Society hill
Office
214-440-2050 office
215-272-0360 cell
Dear Emma:
First of all, are you considering public or private schools education for your children and what are the children's ages? Philadelphia has only one public school system while, the surrounding communities have individual school districts. Rankings of schools can usually be obtained from each school district based on standardized testing. The best method however, is to talk to parents of the school children in the area you are considering purchasing your home. They will give you a pretty assessment of their child's school. Best wishes, John Szymanski 215-888-3162 (cell)
Hello, Emma,

Here is a link that could prove helopful to you: http://www.education.com/schoolfinder/us/pennsylvania/philad… It contains parent ratings of schools in the city of Philadelphia. Aside from the Philadelphia Public Schools, there are many Charter Schools, specialty schools (Girard Academy for the Performing Arts, Masterman), etc. You haven't mentioned ages, so that would have some impact as well. If I can send you any other specific information, please don't hesitate to let me know.

I will also recommend that you check out City-dataforum.com. You will get lots of good comments from residents in and around the city.

Carol Cei, ePRO, Realtor
Five Star Professional
ReMax Action Realty
215-643-9661 cell
215-358-1100 x1223 Office
carol@carolcei.com
Web Reference: http://www.carolcei.com