Schools in 10591>Question Details

TTfamily, Home Buyer in Tarrytown, NY

How does school district affect value of homes? For example some homes in Tarrytown are part of Irvington

Asked by TTfamily, Tarrytown, NY Tue Mar 11, 2008

schools and some homes in Elmsford/sleepy hollow are part of pocantico hills but some are part of Greenburgh? The school offerings are dramatically different, does that affect the pricing/value of the home?

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 10591

Answers

9
Have a look under "Communites & Schools" at http://www.legendsrealtygroup.net... we are located in Sleepy Hollow / Tarrytown and therefore know the area very well... and if you need more assistance do not hesitate to call... 914-438-7556 / Phyllis Lerner, Associate Broker /Legends Realty Group
People make decision on buying a home for many reasons. Every home will sell based on location, condition and proper pricing. Every area you have mentioned has expensive and moderate priced homes and there is a difference between price and value. There are many factors that can effect pricing. Fell free to visit my website to get futher information on homes and if you have further questions fell free to contact me at your convenience.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 15, 2008
Susie, I think it also depends on the proximity to Manhattan, access to train station, and whether companies are there (because companies pay a lof in taxes so the tax becomes lower for residents in that neighborhood). I grew up in Westchester and am pretty familiar with the school system. Pocantico school system may be pretty good but it doesn't have its own high school; rather, the students get fed into Pleasantville, Sleepy Hollow and Briarcliff high schools. If students go to Briarcliff (good school), the taxes are super high. Pleasantville is middle because the school is average, and Sleepy Hollow is lower because the school isn't that good. But I do agree that taxes in Tarrytown is high in general regardless of the school district (perhaps it is because it is centrally located with access to Tappan Zee, NYC, White Plains, etc.). Ossining is also ridiculously high even though the high school is just average - I have no idea why. Do you find that taxes in Tarrytown, Ossining, Briarcliff, Scarsdale/Edgmont, Chappaqua are the highest? That is what I'm seeing.

I noticed that houses in Tarrytown with Irvington school are priced higher than houses in Sleepy Hollow. I also think families are much more apt to buy houses in places with good school districts rather than those that are not. I have been looking to buy in Westchester and I noticed that open houses in Chappaqua, Scarsdale, Edgemont are bustling while open houses in other areas are quiet.
Gizmo - seems like almost all of westchester is high and it's not exactly correlated to the school district. For example half of Elmsford is Pocantico (great schools, low taxes). Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow are high taxes, but the middle/high schools are subpar (in terms of scores, graduation rates, % going to college) compared to neighboring towns like irvington/briarcliff. maybe it's just a westchester thing??
I forgot Bronxville and Briarcliff (Briarcliff and Tarrytown and Irvinton all have super high taxes; as does Bronxville) - but good school districts as well.
Hi Susie, houses in good school districts are priced much higher and have higher taxes. For example, houses in Irvington, Chappaqua, Edgemont, Scarsdale, Byram Hills (Armonk), Rye, Blind Brook (Rye Brook) school districts are priced higher (those are good school systems) than houses that are not. But you can also sell them for a higher price when it's your time to sell.
Hi there Susie!, Trulia also just added school information with parents reviews! See the link below for info on the RYE school district - for example.
The school district most definitely does affect the value of homes, with the "perceived" superior school district commanding more money for a home than one with similar attributes in a differing town.
That said, the school district's reputation is often linked to SAT scores which may or may not be a good indicator of the school curriculum or teaching methods.
If you would like online resources for looking into school districts, please do not hesitate to contact me
Web Reference: http://joan.prucent.com
I don't know about Tarrytown and Westchester County specifically. However, in general, the quality of the school district does affect values to some extent. The effect is greater if: (1) there's a big gap between the quality of the school districts, and (2) many of the buyers have children who attend public schools.

If there's only a slight or moderate gap, and that's the perception, then there won't be much difference. Also, obviously it matters to parents of children in public schools. If the demographics are such that most of the buyers don't have school-age children, it won't matter much. Or if it's fairly common for buyers to send their kids to private schools, then they won't care much about public schools, either.

And keep in mind that there's often an inverse ratio between property taxes and school quality. Not always, but often. That is, the higher the property tax, the more money goes to the schools, and thus the higher perceived quality of the schools. So you might have a situation in which a seller is balancing high property taxes and high perceived quality of schools against more affordable property taxes and medium perceived quality of schools.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA