Schools in Chicago>Question Details

Stacie Odhne…, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

How can I have Chicago residency but not be in CPS district without having to send my kids to a private school?

Asked by Stacie Odhner-Sibley, Columbus, OH Fri Oct 11, 2013

0 votes Share Flag Schools in Chicago

Answers

10
Hi, Stacie:

The short answer is -- you can't. If you live in the city, and you don't send your kids to CPS, they will attend a private school.

The long answer, though, may be of more interest to you. There are many options within CPS that are attractive and worthwhile. Among them are charter schools and selective-enrollment programs.

Go to the CPS web site and take a look at the School Locator:

http://www.cps.edu/Schools/Find_a_school/Pages/schoollocator.aspx

Click "Search by Address," then enter an address in the neighborhood you'd like to live. Make sure to select a search radius, the wider the better.

Next, make sure to select only "Level 1" schools under "Performance Rating." Click "Search." The map results, which are clickable, will show you only the highest-performing schools in the search radius.

You can then select one of the pins to view information specific to the school. This information will include whether the school has selective enrollment or is a neighborhood school and its attendance boundaries.

CPS has many fine schools, you just need to do your homework to find them. The top high school in Illinois, Northside College Prep, is a Chicago Public School. Many of the top elementary schools are also within the CPS system.

Successful public schools generally are those that engage parents and students alike. If you do your homework, I'm sure you'll find one you like within the city limits.

Don Pasek, CIPS, TRC, ADPR
Omniterra Real Properties
Chicago
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 11, 2013
If you are in Chicago proper their is a pubic school your kids will be entitled to go to. Call the central administrative office and discus the matter with them. Someone is telling you the wrong information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 11, 2013
email me about options at jmichaels@remax.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 3, 2013
You cannot. There is a reason that property values are directley linked to quaity school districts. Chicago does have some wonderfull districts but you would need be in them ar apply for some of the charter or magnet schools
Not a jerk question, but you got very helpful answers from a group of helpful Chicago Realtors.
This really doesn't make sense... if you in Chicago and don't want CPS or private what other options are there?
I am just checking because where I live now (Columbus, OH) you can have a Columbus address and be considered living in Columbus but your children would attend another city's schools... so i am so sorry if my question doesn't make any sense! JERK!
Flag Fri Oct 11, 2013
There are many CPS highly rated and with excellent teachers
All of Chicago is in the CPS District.

Options you have for your kids are:
CPS
Private Schools
Home Schooling

If that is not satisfactory, and you really need Chicago residency then obtain 2 properties:
one in Chicago for your residency and one elsewhere in an area where you like the public schools.
Stacie,

If you are in Chicago, then you are in the CPS district. There are many highly rated public schools in the city of Chicago. Are you relocating to Chicago? I would be happy to talk with you and find a home and school that meets your needs.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
ivan@atproperties.com
Dear Stacie,

Every neighborhood in Chicago City limits has a school. Likewise if your children are good test takers they can qualify to go to Magnet Schools based on grades.