Schools in Waterbury>Question Details

Providencia…, Renter in Bronx, NY

How are the High Schools in Waterbury?

Asked by Providencia Silva, Bronx, NY Wed Jun 5, 2013

How are the High Schools in Waterbury?

Answers

4
HI, My son has gone thru two high schools and they were terrible! Waterbury schools in general rank as some of the worst in the state, We have had problems from the day we started him in 6rd grade, books were outdated, teachers didn't really care, the long timers with 14 years or more especially! By 6th grade the Board of ED wanted to transfer the kid to another school because his grades were so good and him being at the very poorly ranked school would Seem to look better by placing kids with good grades into the student body by raising the grade point average. It was the stupidest thing we ever heard of. When we got all the the students and parents together, we decided to refuse, Why should kids that are learning well where they are be sent to schools far from home and be taught by teachers that are having problems teaching the students there. All our kids would suffer due to the poor learninh enviorment, would be like a 5th grader being taught on a 3rd grade level.
By the time he reached Crosby, his locker was so far away from the cafe he sometimes didn't get to eat cause lunch was over for them or he couldn't finish, or they ran out of food and gave him a PBJ and a milk while teachers went to the front of the line and got a hot meal and the kids at the end of the line got screwed! We were surprised to find out there were 2 gangs in the school, he had to share a locker with student from an upper grade he didn't even know. We talked with some parents with kids attending Kennedy and it was pretty much the same, so we ended up sending him to Holy Cross it is a bit expensive but he excelled beyond all our wildest dreams, the teachers are awesome with the kids, courses are well prepared and one on one help is ease to arrange.The administration is family oriented and they helped our son get a few private grants and 3 letters of recomendation from the staff for college. The counselors work very hard with the students to help arrange a plan for students success in what ever they pursue. It was the best investment we ever made! our son is off to college in the fall with all the fundamentas needed to start his journey through college. Now we can try and sell the house and move out of waterbury FINALLY!

I hope in some way this helps, we went through so much here to try and get our son a good public education, but it just wasn't possible. Luckily he did have a few teachers along the way that really made a difference in his whole classes lives!
it may be cheaper for you to send your child to cheshire high school, they have a very good record and my sons friends do well there and the parents have only good things to say about how school is run. I just thought of that now or we might have done that instead. Can't beleive it took your post to jog my bian and think of that!
Best wishes
Bill + Donna
I can't answer that question but I will tell you I enrolled my daughters in school in Los Angeles years ago even though everyone told us the schools were terrible. my girls got a fine education during the year they attended school there. It's parental involvement and what the student wants to do with their time in school. A student who wants to learn will be found by teachers who want to teach them. If you need help finding housing in Waterbury, please contact me. I'm a resident and I know the different neighborhoods. Thanks for your question!
I can't really answer that question. Your best bet is to research Waterbury schools on line as to what the offer, ranking, etc.