Schools in Apple Valley>Question Details

ram, Home Buyer in Apple Valley, MN

How about the school district of Apple Valley?

Asked by ram, Apple Valley, MN Thu May 10, 2012

I've heard from my friends that Apple Valley school district is not that great. It is not close to neither Edina nor Wayzata. Is that correct?

Answers

11
It would be difficult to compare apples to apples the various school districts as each has it's own strengths. and each person has their own personal experiences. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 districts you were talking about, but it will still boil down to parental involvement between you, your children and the teachers and whether the school district offers what your children need such as special needs children. With that said, 196 consistently ranks among the top school districts and its populace is very supportive of the school district. As a Realtor, I can say that I hear a lot of potential clients that are putting homes in 196 as their top priority.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 11, 2012
My son graduated from Apple Valley High School in 2009. He was a special needs child and the school worked one on one with him to make sure that he was getting the education that he needed. They always informed me about his progress. The school has a wonderful extra curricular activities in the high school, and the community programs are accommodating to anyone that wants to participate, no matter the income level. I have lived in Apple Valley for over 22 years and would recommend this area to anyone that wants to raise a family. I would recommend the school district to anyone that wants to move to this area. I can give all the information about any of the community programs or the schools from first hand information, just give me a call.
The Apple Valley school district is one of the best! 196 is highly sought after and has great academics! My daughter goes to one of the Elementary Schools and we are very happy with our choice.
Apple valley is a great place i live there .. also i think you wouldn't take my advice because im in7th grade.. But let me start .. okay so apple valley district is one of the highest districts in MN. Whoever said apple valley district is bad is WRONG. I'm always on the honor roll and i get good grades. Even though im not american . .. All schools are great anywhere depanding on the student.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
District 196 (Rosemount, Eagan, Apple Valley) has always been considered a premier school district. The Wall Street Journal "High School Challenge" just ranked Eastview High School # 8 in the state - (1-7 in this order were Southwest - MPLS, Edina, St. Louis Park, Central - St. Paul, South - MPLS, Minnetonka, and Mahomedi). A combination of high academic standards, sport team champions, many arts accomplishments, etc. have created a very well rounded enviornment for all students.
Okay, I'm going to take a divergent view.

Edina & Wayzata have a great reputation but it has a lot more to do with the genes, wealth and involvement of the parents than the schools/teachers being superior.

To demonstrate this - District 197 is Eagan/Mendota Heights/West St Paul. The schools in Eagan/Mendota Heights have much higher income areas than West St Paul and the students in the schools in Eagan/Mendota Heights have much higher outcomes. Is it because the teachers in 1/2 of the school district are much better than the other?

No - it's because the people that have higher incomes might have inherrant advantages that give those kids much better outcomes.

The vast majority of parents in the Rosemount/Apple Valley/Eagan school district have a high opinion of the schools and it has an excellent reputation.

Bill Wallace
RE/MAX Results - Apple Valley
651-338-0355
Did you end up buying or building?
Ram,

ISD 196 is a very progressive school district where the administration takes pride in implementing the newest technology and teaching resources. Recently they've started using NorthStar Educational Tools, a program designed to pinpoint each student's very specific needs and teachers are being trained as coaches to guide the students on personal growth plans with amazing results. See the website http://www.NorthstarET.com. The director, Beth Swenson is amazing and the whole district will have training to highlight the use of this tool by the end of the summer.
If you need help finding homes within the district, don't hesitate to call or email.
Rick 952-451-2900
Rickthram@remax.net
Not correct at all. Apple Valley schools are some of the best schools in the state. Here is a couple of websites for you to check out the schools.
http://www.district196.org/
http://www.wayzata.k12.mn.us/wps/
http://www.edina.k12.mn.us/

Keith & Sheila
I find that elementary schools are more localized so even within the same district they can vary. It would be helpful to know if your kids are at that level or above. I know many people who are very proud ISD196 Highschool parents and we will leave sports out of the conversation!
There are many websites you can check on for school district information. http://www.greatschools.org is just one of them. My children have been in District 196 and done very well. It is not very close to Edina or Wayzata - Apple Valley is south of the river.
I have found that there are people in every district who love it and do not like it. I suggest visiting the school you are thinking of having children attend. Most of the offices welcome you and will give you a tour. You will likely know when you go through whether your child will fit well there.
Please contact me if you would like to talk further or if there is anything else I can help you with!
Brenda
952-250-3896
bhanson@brendahansonrealty.com
IBR Realty, LLC
http://www.brendahansonrealty.com