Schools in Simi Valley>Question Details

deana311, Renter in Simi Valley, CA

Hi, my family is moving to Simi Valley and we have a special needs child with an IEP who is categorized as moderate to severe needs.

Asked by deana311, Simi Valley, CA Sun Oct 7, 2012

Where are the good schools for kids like her?

Help the community by answering this question:


My child is Special Needs IEP-Status in Ventura County and attends public high school.

I would like to offer options confidentially and not on Trulia. Please contact me .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 3, 2013
It would be worth contacting the Simi Valley Unified School Board to get the best option for your child. Here is their contact information:

Simi Valley Unified School District
875 East Cochran Street
Simi Valley, California 93065

(805) 306-4500 Phone

Please email or call me if I can be of any assistance with your relocation.

Blanca Dover, REALTOR

Century21 Hometown Realty
Cell: 805-427-5646

Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri May 3, 2013
What is her age. and do you want to buy or lease? contact Cindie Karlzian
@ 818-425-4254 cell direct.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013

We share the same joy and challenges. Our child has moderate to severe needs at times. My suggestion is to meet with the Asst. Superintendent of Special Education in the Simi Valley Unified School district to introduce your child and to express to them that your child's education is a top
priority as parents. I applaud you for doing your research in advance. I also find that if things are not going well as the educational system in any district can come against that your assertive communication with your IEP Team is a must and paramount to your child's success.

Good Luck and God Bless.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
My daughter also had an IEP and Simi Valley was wonderful other. My kids went to Mountain View.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 28, 2013
I agree Mountain View is a wonderful enviroment for the parents and children with an IEP. There are also affordable homes to buy and lease in that area.
contact me anytime Cindie @ 818-425-4254 cell
Flag Sat Mar 30, 2013
I have heard that Garden Grove has a wonderful special needs program.

Janet Brekke
Troop Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Garden Grove has a wonderful special needs program that I have been made aware of.

Janet Brekke
Troop Real Estate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I recommend you contact the Simi Valley Unified School District for more information. They have different levels of special needs attention at various schools in our community. Depending on the age and needs, they should be able to help you with proper placement. Their website is and they have all their contact information on the site.
Please feel free to let me know if there is anything else, and welcome to a great town.
Cindy Slack
Keller Williams Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi Deana311,

So, Simi Valley has great preschool programming for children with special needs through TriValley Regional center located at the corner of Erringer and Los Angeles Avenue.

When your child enters the school district, depending on your IEP some children in moderate to severe may be placed at any of the neighborhood schools as the district can not discriminate and has aids to help and attend to some chidlrens needs in the typical classrooms.

However Garden Grove elementary is the school attends to the children whose needs are best met on a campus with lots of people who know how to meet the special needs of some. Garden Grove has plenty of typical classrooms so the opportunities for full inclusion are there too. Mary Curtis is the school principal and she was my childs principal at a previous school. She's great.

As others mentioned, SVUSD is probably a great place to start but if you are asking on a real estate site, my guess is that you are trying to consider where to live in proximity to the school you might end up having as your childs school, so, I elaborated.

Ask me how I know about all this, well, my best friend is a special ed IBI trained lead aid in the district and her best friend is a school psychologist, and I care about it all because my son is a GATE student diagnosed high functioning Aspbergers. Another close friend has a daugher who is 10, at garden grove, is diagnosed CP and I would say seems moderate to severe but I dont know for sure, all I know is that she has a smile that lights up her face and makes those around her smile too.

Please contact me through my profile if I can help you with more details. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
I do have clients with children with special needs- I know there is a bus that picks them up- however not knowing more particulars about your daughter, I am not sure which way to go with the school suggestion. As I stated before calling the Simi Unified is the best option for now. If you write me back I will be happy to call my clients and ask them where their children attend school.

call me anytime.


Julie Wienke
Prudential California Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi Deana,

Not knowing what grade your daughter is in at the moment, I would suggest contacting the Simi Valley Unified School District Student Support Services Department at 805-306-4500 ext. 4302, or email I hope this information helps. Please fell free to contact me with any further questions or concerns.

Best Regards,

Todd M. Kaufman
Keller Williams Realty
Primary: 818-825-0093
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
The local school board here is Simi Valley Unified.
My suggestion would be to call them and ask them directly.
Please email me if I can be of any help with a home for your family.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 7, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer