Question Details

Kevin, Other/Just Looking in California

Hello people! I have a question to ask.. First i passed my real estate test California last sept and this

Asked by Kevin, California Tue Jul 15, 2008

year i was going to school to take the 3 courses i needed to be eligible to get my license.. My question is i know you need the finger prints and some type of birth certificate, do you need to be employed by a broker to be able to send off for your license?? I hear you do but i want to just get my license just to have and start actually working at the end of the summer! thanks for your help

Answers

4
You can get your agent license without a broker affiliation; but you can't actively participate in the RE business without associating with a broker.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 15, 2008
You need to have your license with a broker in order to transact business.

Interview with 3-5 brokers...choose that you click with that offers training. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
Cindi Hagley,…, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
You can get your license, but you won't be able to practice until you "hang your shingle" with a brokerage. Best that you start interviewing companies where you would like to work. Passing the test is a drop in the bucket in terms of the things you need to know in order to do your job well. It's a great help to attend classes offered by affiliate companies (from classes as simple as knowing how to read a preliminary report to writing an offer). You'll be surprised at how much you can pick up by being in an office where the realtors are helpful, friendly, and have the right attitude.

HI Kevin,
You should call a local broker or your local Realtor Association to confirm. In Washington state you can't use your license unless you are affilliated with a broker - or you are a broker yourself.
Jennifer