Schools in Scotch Plains>Question Details

julie.nole15, Home Buyer in Basking Ridge, NJ

Hello! I am a mom of twin boys with ASD. We are thinking about moving to Scotch Plains and I was wondering if you knew any parents with kids on the

Asked by julie.nole15, Basking Ridge, NJ Sun May 19, 2013

autism spectrum and in Scotch Plains public schools. My boys are 8 years and 2 months. One of my sons is in inclusion 100% and the other does about 40% in inclusion (anxiety etc..). I want to know if SP supports a less restrictive/inclusion environment? Obviously called Spec Ed at school. Want some real opinions for parents etc... Thanks for any help in advance!

Answers

3
your best deal is to get an appointment with the principal.... I have a child with some difficulties and the program IEP program that he is attending has done miracles for him...
I moved to Scotch pains January of 2014, I have a 13 year old son with ASD attending Park Middle School I don't believe they have the right structure for kids with behavioral or academic difficulties. This is the worst Child study team I have worked with. I have heard Terril middle School is better.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2014
My son has Aspergers Syndrome and recently graduated from Scotch Plains Fanwood High School. It took a while for us to have him properly diagnosed - we finally had him in a social skills group and in the care of a pediatric psychiatrist by the 5th grade. We worked diligently with the school to form his IEP. Since your children are already diagnosed, the process should be easier, but there does need to be a lot of parent involvement & follow up. All in all we were very please with my son's progress through the school system - by the 10th grade he decided he no longer needed his IEP. He graduated with honors and just completed his freshman year in college, making the Dean's List! I highly recommend the school system & the town. We've been in Scotch Plains for 13 years, and were also very involved with the Police Athletic League football program - my son played football in high school as well. Scotch Plains & Fanwood share schools from elementary thru high school. I'd be happy to meet with to further discuss your options and help you begin your home search. Feel free to contact me anytime. 908.296.7236 Rachel@rachelrealestate.com