Schools in 27713>Question Details

Sadie, Both Buyer and Seller in 27713

For any parents with kids who attend Parkwood Elementary. What do you think of this school as a good place for a child to learn?

Asked by Sadie, 27713 Mon Nov 21, 2011

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 27713

Answers

4
Sadie,
Parkwood has an unjustified bad rep. It's test scores may not be as high as one of the other SW Durham elementary schools, but I know 3 families whose kids currently attend Parkwood, and they are very happy with it. My kids do not attend Parkwood (we're in Southwest Elem. district, where they are in 1st and 4th grade), but if we lived in the Parkwood district, I would have absolutely no hesitation to send my kids there. As a former educator, my opinion is that test scores are not as important as some folks believe. I would recommend that you call the school and schedule a tour if you have a child who will be attending kindergarten next year.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 21, 2011
My twins are in Kindergarten at Parkwood and we LOVE it! There is a new principal who is energetic, bright and committed and both of my boys teachers are outstanding. The entire staff seems to know them by name, and we are warmly welcomed at every pick up and drop off. My boys are also in speech therapy and are receiving top notch help. Our IEP team is great. We listed our house last year trying to get out of the district. Lucky us it didn't sell- we are now re-listing, but hoping to STAY at Parkwood.
Sadie,

I have a number of clients who do have children in the Parkwood elementary school and all have bben pleased. (My son is 28 so I've no personal experience) In my opinion the best online site for hard data on the various schools is http://www.NCReportcard.org

Hope this site is of some help.
Sadie
I agree with Anne 100%, too many people focus on test scores, when children who have help at home do very well in any reasonable learning environment, while those who don't , don't even in the so called "top schools"
I sold a home to a couple with children in Parkwood this year and they are very happy with the school. They are very involved in their childrens education both at school and home.
Michael