Schools in New Providence>Question Details

Cherish, Home Buyer in Mountainside, NJ

Does New Providence NJ provide school bus service for children?

Asked by Cherish, Mountainside, NJ Thu Apr 28, 2011

I was told a couple of yrs ago that NP does not bus kids to school? Is this still the case? How do parents manage?

Answers

1
Yes, in New Providence NJ the distances to schools are mostly walkable, so there's no busing provided. All those foggy memories — and jokes — about parents who walked three miles in the snow to get to school contain a grain of truth: In 1969, 42 percent of children walked or biked to school, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. By 2001, that had dropped to 16 percent. Those who walked to school know it offers children a rare slice of unsupervised freedom. As chronicled by Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn to "The Karate Kid," it can bring adventure, romance, or perhaps a bully. "There’s so much fun on the way to school, " said Lenore Skenazy, author of "Free-Range Kids: How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children (Without Going Nuts with Worry.)" "There are sights, sounds and smells." You could find an acorn, teach yourself to whistle, meet a friend. "It’s not the back of the car, for God’s sake."

We recommend simply checking the routes before you purchase to see if it feels safe to you. If you're not comfortable with the walk then you will need to arrange to drop your children off and pick them up. My brother Tom and I specialize in New Providence and the other great towns with mid-town direct train service to Manhattan. You will find lots of great information on our website http://www.njpropertybrothers.com or feel free to call me at 908-319-3787 with any questions about the area.

Best of luck! JP & Tom "the nj property brothers"