Schools in Brentwood>Question Details

Debbie, Other/Just Looking in West Los Angeles, Los...

Does Brentwood Middle School in Los Angeles accomodate students with ADD issues?

Asked by Debbie, West Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA Tue Apr 1, 2008

Answers

4
Another way to approach the issue is to get in contact with the local chapter of CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder). Go to http://www.chadd.org Then search for Los Angeles. I know Los Angeles has an active CHADD chapter.

I'm the former coordinator of CHADD of Northern Virginia, and I can tell you that parents of kids with ADHD will be more than glad to share their experiences, good and bad, with the local schools. All schools are supposed to accommodate students--either via an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) or a 504 plan (much weaker, but still can be helpful and sometimes is the appropriate course to take). But the responsiveness of schools can vary not only by school district, but by individual school.

So contact CHADD. Use that to contact the chapter coordinator and find out how you can speak to some of the parents. And consider joining CHADD. It only costs, I think, $45 a year. For that, you get membership both in national CHADD and your local chapter, with a lot of benefits from both.

Web Reference: http://www.NoVaCHADD.org
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2008
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi Debbie,

You might also want to check out the link below to Trulia's Los Angeles Real Estate Guide. We have school information for multiple districts in that area and you'll be able to find district and school contact information so you can ask the school about it's programs directly. You'll also find test score ratings and parent reviews in this section as well.

I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2008
Hi Debbie,

I couldn't find Brentwood Middle School on the LAUSD website, but you can go on there and find a lot of information about any school in the LAUSD district. Go to Http://www.lausd.net

Good Luck
Web Reference: http://www.lausd.net
Hi Debbie,

I am not familiar with this particular school. Is it a public school? Every American student is entitled to a Fair & Appropriate Public Education (FAPE). What is appropriate for a child with ADD may not be appropriate for another student. FAPE is a federal law which states that public schools must make accomodations necessary for each student's academic success. That being said, why don't you make an appointment to meet with the school's principle to discuss your specific concerns.

Best of luck,

Karen Miller