Schools in 08854>Question Details

Emilia, Home Buyer in Staten Island, NY

Best school in NJ and easy train commute to NY

Asked by Emilia, Staten Island, NY Wed Sep 12, 2012

Looking for property that has good public school, nice neighborhood and close by train station to NY. Please advise us.

0 votes Share Flag Schools in 08854

Answers

6
Well, the question is tough as you will hear that everyone lives in the best school district in the state, no matter where they live.. You need to continue your due diligence to find what suits you best in an area for your family and commuting.

When I moved to NJ, I looked north south, west.. all over the place and the best bet for me ended up being East Brunswick. Being from Brooklyn, that was a part of it.. East Brunswick offers a bus commute to the city, literally 35 miles form downtown, 35 mile out of Bensonhurst so I can still have easy 40 minute access to go and get bread and cheese that they don't really know about here in NJ. :)

The schools are some of the best in the state and located with n 8 minutes from Rutgers and 30 minutes out of Princeton..
The more west you go.. a lot of traffic, a lot people on the train.. North.. kinda like Brooklyn in a lot of areas and I wanted a more suburban feel. but that is me! Continue your due diligence, check out greatschools.net for schools and look into the commute, traffic, shopping and the access to the shore and all that stuff...

As an expert in the Middlesex county area, I can help you find your home!
Call or email me with any questions or to set up a time to see some homes!

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Direct: 732-2130-1409
JSacktig@orangekeyrealty.com
Hi Emilia,

NJ Monthly Magazine just published the Best High Schools in New Jersey. Take a look for school rankings. # 1 is New Providence which also has nice neighborhoods and NYC train. I would also suggest Millburn, Berkeley Heights, Summit, LIvingston and Glen Ridge. There are others.

If you would like a guided tour of the towns that offer good schools, beautiful neighborhoods and train to NYC let me know. I would be happy to take you and your family to get a feel for what is offered in Union, Essex and Morris Counties.

Best to you.
Carol Eisenstein
Emilia,

I moved from Brooklyn to NJ in 1983 and still have many friends living in Staten Island. I think Metuchen is a perfect fit for you.
Here's a link to information about the town:
http://www.metuchennj.org/

It's a small town, with a lovely, quaint, main street. There is a train station direct to NY Penn Station. Most homes are within walking distance to the train, but if you prefer not to walk, there a several municipal parking lots available, for which you pay quarterly. The morning train ride is about 45-50 minutes.

There are homes in every price range,and in every size.

There is a borough municipal pool, a YMCA with before/after school, weekend and summer programs/camp for kids (if you need this service). There is a great farmers market on the weekends, and other events run throughout the year (including the Metuchen Country Fair).

The town is readily accessible to Route 287 which takes you directly to the Outerbridge into Staten Island (about a 7-10 minute drive in good traffic conditions). It's also close to Rt 1, the Garden State Pkwy and the Turnpike, as well as 2 shopping malls.

There is only one Middle and one High School, and the elementary school is split into two schools.
Metuchen High School was ranked # 54 of 381 high schools in the NJ Monthy 2010 school ranking report (2010 is the most recent, it's done every 2 years).
Here's a link to the report:
http://njmonthly.com/articles/towns_and_schools/highschoolra…

If you are interested in knowing more about the homes available in this town, please feel free to give me a call at 908-675-0167, for a no obligation chat about your needs.
Depending the length of the commute you desire, there are towns like Montclair, Bloomfield, S.Orange, Milburn, Summit, New Providence and others in Essex and Union county that you could consider.
N. Edison , Metuchen that has good public school , nice neighborhood and close by the train station ,Metropark and Metuchen and very easy access to all major HWYS .
Nutley, Montclair, Hasbrouck Heights and Rutherford all have train stations
most people look in these towns for what you are looking for.